Gearbox Probs

Guest Lew

My Photo Album

O.k, now i know the link works i can pick your brains!

The problem i have is that the bottom of the gearbox is hitting the bottom of the transmission tunnel, thus the engine is not level and the gearstick hole is too high.

If you look at pic 4 you can see the bottom of the gearbox hitting the bit just before the transmission tunnel (bent bit).

Im just not sure what to do or if i have the right gearbox for the exmo.

I've tried taking the engine + gearbox out + trying too move it forward slightly, but then it doesn't mate up with the diff.

Any ideas what i can do? i've thought about cutting the samll piece off that's hitting the gearbox but thought i'd ask first.

Any comments/criticisms welcome,

Lew

Guest Bazwaz

Hi Lew,

Although it's been a few years since i built my Exmo i recall having to cut the bottom of the tunnel if you were fitting the 5 speed box. Right, i've just been to have a look and there is no floor between the gearbox mount and the bellhousing so it looks like you need to remove that section (photo 4 ) from the angle iron towards the engine. The two holes that you can see were, if i remember correctly, for the 4 speed box. hope this helps. It might pay to ask Mat-de-rat as he is on his second Exmo.

Barry.

I don't have this section on my Exmo. (see photo)

post-6-1105296818.jpg

Hi Lew,

From the pic "gearbox top" it looks like the engine is too far forward. Also the bulkhead area just above the bellhousing looks to be rather deeper than on my exmo, which will cause you to have the 'box lower than it may be. If you look at the picture of the engine in mine you'll see there is very little clearance between the back of the block and the bulkhead, I know the vauxhall is a different shape but previously there was a pinto in there, on the same 'box.

post-6-1105295116.jpg

Guest Bazwaz

Greg,

If he removes that section of floor the box will sit lower and therefore go back a bit more, but it looks okay to me. I remember having to enlarge the gear lever hole at the front as mine didn't line up properly.

Barry.

Guest chris brown

It looks like a similar problem that was on the early 2B's where two lugs stuck forward and had to be cut off if using the 5 speed box only in this case its a bigger piece as Barry says this would not only allow the box to drop but also go in further

I may be completely wrong here, but to me it looks like you've put the angleiron piece with the "bracket" on, the wrong way round. That bracket is what the rear G/box mounting sits in isn't it? so with the mounting in it, it should bolt up to the casting on the g/box.

note: I'm only going off what I see on the photo, I've not been under an Exmo.

Jim,

The angle is fitted the right way round. If the section i've outlined is removed the gearbox will drop and the rear mount bolts to the two pre drilled holes(circled) behind the angle.

Barry.

post-6-1105315583.jpg

Hi all.

I had to cut a section of the floor out (like Barry said ) on my Cortina mono S7 when I went from a 4-speed box to a 5-speed box. When the engine and box where frist fitted it to sat up at the back like your is Lew (photo 1). with a bit of careful cutting it was soon in the right place. :rolleyes:

Chris.

Brill thanks for the help everyone, especially Barry.

I was under the impresion that i would have to cut that bit off, but i just needed someone else to confirm it before i ruined my chassis.

Well i've just bought an angle grinder so i'll get crackin tonight and keep you all updated with pics.

Thanks again,

Lew