Looks Like Engine Has Siezed Up

femster87

Was going for a startup last weekend, but starter motor was fubared. Replaced today and you can hear the starter trying to turn over, crank pulley not moving at all. tried to put a bar on it and turn it. nothing, put car in gear and tried to rock it nothing at all. so it looks like the poor zetec is siezed. that would put me back months as everything was almost finished. So don't really know what to do. :diablo: :diablo: :diablo:

Guest dinger

Hi Femi,

Was it turning free before?

Also is it anew engine or second hand? might of just binded on the rings, best thing to do is take the plugs out and drop a small amount of oil down the bores, leave for a couple of days and try again, dont rock back and forward in gear though, too much force could breack something, Get a nice long breaker bar on the front pully and try to turn clockwise,

Very rare an engine seized on its own,,,

Another thought,, have you fitted a new sump and has it turned free since?

Dave

Guest mower man

Has it ever run ?,for how long,?how long in store ? is this the one with water/condensation in the cam box? , have alook down plug plug holes,, can you get the sump off while the engine is in place ? what has goosed the starter?I don't want to tell you the next bit realy but I think you are looking at afull strip mate sorry but some thing is seriously amiss mower man :sorry:

Guest dinger

I'd check the crank isnt hitting the sump splash sheild, I'm assuming the crank ran free after fitting the big end bolts?

Fingers crossed its just a school boy error.

Guest mower man

Hi sorry to hear your woes , it sounds as if you have an issue with the sump ,get the sump off and try to turn the eng if it turns look for marks on the sump and investigate why .I don't have any experience with that engine,you say you fitted rod bolts ,did the engine turn after wards ? if it does not turn with the sump off slacken rod bolts off ,both on each rod in order and turn eng if one pair frees the engine of theres your prob investigate !. I hope it some thing simple like the windage plate /splash guard regards mower man :good:

RESULT!!!! sump loosen not off yet though and engine turns. unfortunately i have put some penoil in the top before checking, in a bid to soak it out i lost a tiny amount of tissue in there loool. but am happy. small job, engine out after stoneliegh cause no hire shop for engine crane now.

Thanks alot for the suggesttions. I would get sump out and find the exact problem.