Removing Autochoke From Dgav

Guest Takumi

Guest Takumi

Ive recently read on the www, that you can just completely remove the choke flaps and the autochoke mechanism from the DGAV, to leave just the carb without choke..

Surely this means better air flow through the choke housing..?? :)

Has anyone done this and, had +ve results.. at least interms of it still workings ok..

Also has anyone got details of the jetting info for the 2000GT SOHC engine used in the GT Capri.?? or RS2000 HC pinto ??

As i need help chosing the right jets, ( this engine is on a stand and cant be put any where near a dynamometer..hehe)

thnx

tak.

32/36 DGAV jets .unkown

Guest TerryBarry

Does the operating spindle and vertical choke plate really present that much of a restriction to air flow.

Also, how do you start it on a cold morning

Or am I just being thick :(

Terry

Start same as for sidedrafts, by a couple of pumps of the accelerator to activate the acceleration enrichment pump which give a squirt of petrol straight into the chokes. Must be a better bet to find a DGAS/DGES tho and fit that instead.

Nigel

Guest piddy

Hi.

I have a friend that races Sierras and he removes the choke flap as you describe :D .

He says it makes alot of differents to the peformance :D .

I can see starting a bit of a problem :( . You would have to rev the engine for a bit to get it hot :( .Not a good idea on a housing estate at 5am :ph34r: .

Piddy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Takumi

Thanks for all your comments.

Ive removed the water controlled auto choke, and thought of replacing it with a manual servo operated choke, operating it from the cockpit..?

Or just a cable operated manual choke as offered as aconverison by weber themselves.

Does anyone know how much the manual choke conversion costs.??

Guest paul thompson

I was lucky when I decided to dump EFi and go carb I found a 2.0l carb car in the scrappies with a manual choke conversion already on it. As I did not want to use the Sierra bonnet catch, I have used what was the bonnet release lever as the handle for the choke, works great, needed a bit of modifying to make the friction high enough to hold the spring of the choke on the carb but not a prob