Water Pressure ?

Guest stevie.palmer

Guest stevie.palmer

Can anyone solve this problem !.As many others i have upgraded my 2b rad to a double brass for my 2.0ltr EFI pinto but have had many water problems.I cannot use a closed water system with exp tank (as donor) as the pressure builds up and finds the weakest link, so i have gone back to rad exp pipe into an collection bottle.The problem is that i still loose too much water (which is sucked back in when it cools),ie 1LTR after about half hour tare up. Can any body help!!!!

Thanks

New member Steve

Steve

:( sounds like it might be the head gasket, or even worst :boohoo: a crack somewhere.

Does the water actually disappear or does it get squirted out somewhere?

Dave

Guest stevie.palmer

Thanks for the quick reply dave !

The engine was rebuilt with new gaskets etc and has been tuned and compression tested . No water leaks either just seems like to much pressure in the system ?

Steve

The water must be going somewhere...if there are no leaks or steam, the only place for the water to go is into the cylinders :(

If the tuning has puntured the water jacket around the inlet valves then this is the symptom, I've seen this with a blown head gasket.

Dave

Guest Battery Bill

We had an old Cavalier which suddenly started bursting hoses, at first I put it down to old hoses but eventually found it was a small split in the head gasket.

No other symptoms just pop and lots of steam. :boohoo:

The volume of the standard pinto setup is 14 pints which expands just under half a pint when you heat it from 15C to 110C. If your system expands by a litre you are blowing it out with steam or combustion gas. (you could just have a large air lock expanding but unlikely.) When your engine cools is there space in the top of the radiator?

You can get the system pressure tested at a garage which tells you if you have a leak (blown head gasket, cracked head etc). I would suggest first check the circuits, inlet manifold to heater to water pump and thermostat housing to rad to pump, physicaly checking all hoses are good, stat is right way round, opens and has an air bleed hole and the pump is pumping. Take em all off and examine carefully. Poke sticks down the hoses from both directions to check the linings haven't formed a flap.

If this is all OK reassemble, perhaps add a new water pump (£20) refil and bleed and get timing and mixture checked.

If still overheating then you need to up the efficiency of the rad by blanking off the spaces around it, or moving it into the nose.

Nigel

Guest stevie.palmer

thanks to nigel also,

the pump and hoses are all brand new,timing and mix all done pre sva. Mix was fine on sva as well.It was recommended that i removed thermostat to stop any water flow restriction and temp is fine ?

If its not actualy losing water and ending up with a half full radiator and it doesn't boil it sounds like its behaving normaly. It's supposed to push water into the overflow bottle and suck it back on cooling. Maybe my maths is a bit off and 14 pints expands by a litre when hot. (Someone was getting all mathematical a couple of days ago. Can they do the figures.)

If however the rad ends up half full when cool then a pressure check would be a good next step.

Nigel