Windscreen Exmo.

Guest Ant212

Guest Ant212

Hi, I purchased an Emo about a month ago, mechanically sound, with a good Pinto 2L, however the finishing leaves a LOT to be desired. At the moment, I am trying to sort the windscreen out, as it doesn't fit too well on the scuttle, large gaps, that have been filled with black sealent. When I removed the screen, I could see why, bolts had been fitted diagonally across the corners at either end to hold the base of the frame in position, the base of the bolts protrude about half an inch below the line of the screen, causing it to sit proud on the scuttle.

What is the recomended proceedure for securing the base of the frame. I know I could probably saw of the bolts flush, but I feel sure there must be a better method.

Cheers, Tony.

Guest Allan U

Hi,

When I built my Exmo, the windscreen was (and still is) only fixed to the uprights. The lower edge u-channel just sat on the top of the scuttle. Well to be more precise, sat on the outside edge curves of the scuttle. The gap between the lower edge of the screen and the scuttle was eliminated by propping up the scuttle from underneath. I used 18mm marine ply which was wedged between the top of steering column support bar and the underside of the scuttle in three places. This gave a good tight fit between the bottom of the screen and the top of the scuttle. The joint was finished off with black sealant.

If you wished, you could fix the lower edge of the screen through the scuttle into the plywood, giving added strength.

Cheers,

Allan.

• 4 weeks later...

The screen is surrounded by 2 pieces of U section aluminum channel.

The first goes up the sides and over the top, the second goes along the bottom.

The glass should have a rubber strip in the channel seperating it from the aluminium.

The bottom and upper halves of the channel should be joined by a (from memory) 2inch long by 1/8 inch self tapper screw, one fitted each side. This is fitted horizontaly through the sides just missing the bottom of the glass and into the bottom rail.

This assembly is then held to the uprights by 3 short self tappers per side and the upright by 2 bolts per side to the scuttle.

The bottom rail should touch the scuttle at the rear bottom but has a gap at the front bottom due to the angling back of the screen This is filled with sealent as Allan says in his reply.

Thats how I did mine after watching the video.

Ian