Mk2 Cortina Rev Counter

Guest Ken Brough

Guest Ken Brough

i am currently installing mk2 cortina gt clocks, however when i connect up the rev counter it reads approximatley double the actual revs. I have connected the live from the coil through the rev counter then back to the coil. Ignition live to the rear spade and then earthed the pole. Any idea's. :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest edders

the problem is that the cortina clocks use something called wasted spark signalling which means it needs half as many signals being sent to the clocks as there is there is a way to remedy this because i encountere the same problem fitting a set of fiesta rs1800 revcounter clocks to a standard fiesta it gave twice as many revs as was needed

Guest Gpayne

kenny i think ive got mine working alright .what you have done sounds right but the flow from the coil must go in the right direction try swaping the wires around on the coil if this doesnt help go to the web site chris has put up click on rev counters and in the phrase "a wiring diagram is sent " click on diagram and as if by magic one will appear check weather your clock is negative or positive and read the conections of the first diagram.

cheers graham

If it's wired up correctly it should be OK. It may not be able to cope with the higher power of the sierra ignition and be picking up stray signals. I had a problem with a VDO rev counter which required a diode to sort.

Had a similar problem with my VDO rev counter picking up false signals and lying to me. VDO said fit a 1n4001 diode in line (in series) between the coil neg and the rev counter. Its a piddly little thing from Maplins and costs pennies but it works. Can't remember which way round it goes but if you solder it in and it doesn't work just unsolder and turn it round
Just another possibility. May help.

Nigel