Computer Help

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

Hi , I need some help, running ME at home on booting screen gets to ME screen then says file VMM32.VXD missing, tried using the start up disk , get the A:\ prompt , run set up, scan disk, tried to get restore to run but screen freezes

Can any one help?

cheers Pete2b

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I've found :-

RESOLUTION

UMAX Scanner Software

To resolve this issue, contact UMAX to inquire about the availability of a fix for this issue. There is a patch to correct this problem available on the UMAX Web site at:

http://www.umax.com/support/knowledge/solu...fm?docs=SC00049 (http://www.umax.com/support/knowledge/solutionsSC.cfm?docs=SC00049)

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

To work around this issue, follow these steps: 1. Restart your computer with a Windows Startup disk.

2. Type the following lines, pressing ENTER after each line:

c:

cd windows

edit system.ini

3. Press ALT+S, and then press F.

4. Type umaxis11.386, and then press ENTER.

5. Disable the line containing "Umaxis11.386" by placing a semicolon (;) at the beginning of the line.

6. Press ALT+F, press X, and then press Y.

7. Remove the Windows Startup disk, and then restart your computer.

Hope it works - cheers, Gray .

Guest timswait

Yes.

Set your computer to boot from CD (can be done in BIOS), put the XP CD in the drive and reboot. Then just follow all the instructions on how to install, and put it over the top of your existing installation. You will loose everything from that installation though, so much backing up is worthwhile. (Generally it's a good idea to partition your hardrive so that the operating system is on a different partition to your files, so even if the operating system goes tits up you don't loose any data).

Guest peter2b2002

Hi , the only prob with reinstalling win me is i don't have the me cd, it was installed over win 95 (i do have that disc)when it went in for repair . Will it work by back installing win 95?

I will try minties idea first

pete2b

Guest salty_monk

No, you can't install Win 95 over the top.

Windows ME is a terrible product. It was Windows 98, jazzed up a bit with a load more problems thrown in because they weren't ready to launch Windows 2000 yet...

I worked in IT support in the year 2000, ME was a real pain in the ass!

To re-install Win 95 you will have to make a boot disk / startup disk (floppy), boot from that, format the hard drive (wipe it) & start from scratch.

If you can't get in to create boot disk you can create one on someone else's Win 98 machine, all Win 98 & ME installs create a generic boot disk...

Personally I would wipe it & go for XP, depends on the spec of the machine though... other than that go for Win 98 but forget about ME.....

(If you ask someone nicely they may lend you a "backup copy" of an ME disk which will work unless the shop installed ME from an upgrade disk, just use your existing licence number - but you will be doing this fairly frequently from my experience with ME).

:)

Guest Battery Bill

Peter

You have a PM

Dan

Windows ME is a terrible product. It was Windows 98, jazzed up a bit with a load more problems thrown in because they weren't ready to launch Windows 2000 yet...

I had less problems with ME than 98se !

But yes in the end XP is better

:D :D

Guest salty_monk

:D All the stuff around that era was unreliable... The hardware configuration & what other software you run has a huge impact too...

In general 98SE is more reliable than ME but that's kind of like saying Bike engined cars are faster on track than Pinto engined ones... :p Occasionally along comes a yellow one to disprove the rule... :lol:

:)

Guest peter2b2002

Hi thanks for all the advice , mintys idea didnt work ,i dont have that scanner installed, cant wipe the hard disk as there are important files that i didnt have time to backup in lotus word pro. i have got windows xp on my lap top, as you say mutch better.

cheers Bill for the offer, i have sent my address in a pm earlier today Re. Le Mans

cheers pete2b