Blue Discs

Grim

Courtesy of my breakdown, the tow guy didn't fully release the handbrake when i was towed home (about 8 miles). As soon as i got out i could smell brakes so i checked, and the wheels were too hot to touch. Looking at them today, one of the discs has gone blue through the heat. I had a look at the pads, and they look mostly ok, if a little flaky around the edges.

I'll replace the pads, but will i need to replace the discs? Should i just wait and see if they're warped (when i've fixed the car), or should they be replaced as a matter of course?

Andy

dscn2610small3zb.jpg

Guest gavinc

i would recommend replacing the discs as well as once they have got that hot it

tempers the metal which affects the way the disc dissipates heat.. once the disc

is glazed even new pads will not be able to creat the friction needed to stop the

car. obviously fit the discs as a pair.. the discs also become prone to cracking.

the other thing to bear in mind is how hot did the fluid get.

once the fluid has boiled it gets air bubbles in it and you might find

the pedal suddenly drops to the floor..

you should ring the recovery man and thank him for giving you these extra jobs

as you didnt really have enough to do anyway....

I pressed the brake pedal and it seemed pretty firm, but obviosuly there's no way to tell for sure without going for a drive.

I've already rung my breakdown people and they've told me to ring their customer services people on monday. I'm not worried about getting teh money out of tehm to fix it, as it'll be a cold day in hell before i pay for the replacement parts.

i think you need rear shocks to, looks like there leaking, badly

i thought someone might say that. It's actually used engine oil i painted on to stop the housings corroding