H-section Rods, Forged 4340

Guest Takumi

Guest Takumi

Hi, I came across a manufacturer that makes conrods, and lots of other forged parts for engines. To any spec you want, as well as lots of common favourites, like Nisan Skyline, Supra, all the usuall..

They list the Pinto/Cosworth engine as one of there more commonly made rods.

the min order is 20 rods/5 sets. They come in matched sets +/-1gram, with bolts.

They Also make I-Section rods, which are a bit cheaper. Attached are pictures of their rods.

thats a good price , ive got a couple of sets for my volvo engines , thing is , do you know what specs you want to make your engine better ? ;)

slipping them on some decent pistons will be a priority .

still thats a good price - and ill be looking into them .

Guest Takumi

yep that what I thought.!

Min order is 20pcs or 5 sets. lag time 1-2months.

Does anyone know how much import duty would be on these?

I'm quite keen on the H Section rods, they look so nice. They all come magngaflux tested, peened surfaces ect and Chromoly hi-spec bolts.

If enough people are interested, we could perhaps place an order later in the year for perhaps more than 20pcs and get them a bit cheaper still.

Lets keep this thread alive.!

So we need to make sure they are as good as cosworth rods (9000 rpm) and find out what 93mm forged pistons would cost, with rings. Could be a better option than my Diesel rods i.e. a straight drop in fit once the block has been bored. With the rod height and piston height set flush to the top of the block compression would also be increased. I think even with these keen prices £300+ with the bearings, rods, pistons, rings and rebore.

That said i would only need a set of rods to replace the injection rods in my 2.1 perhaps a little longer for better compression.

my supplier of these rods was www.stenparnermotor.se

he does supply opel,nissan and ford sets , and also pistons , and alas being swedish i can guarantee some nutter somewhere will have thoroughly tested them .

sten quoted me the chap in finland with a dyno sheet at 805hp with these rods .

Guest Takumi

I initially was interest in new H section rods for my Zetec-S engine, and just stuck with the std pistons as they were pretty lighweight as they were. I'm trying to drum up interest on other forums for these.! maybe eventually a few will actually be interested in their zetec-s engines!lol

Guest salty_monk

17.5% is too high for imprt duty but you will have to pay VAT on top of the import duty anyway... Any good freight forwarder will be able to tell you the duty rate.

Probably be around 6%.

You also will have broker fees, port charges etc..

Also check your price isn't ex factory... if so you will also have transport & port fees their end & the sea freight (LCL cost)...

Ideally you want your price CIF (local UK port) or if you decide to do it air freight through UPS or FEdex then get an ex factory price (as they will pick it up at the factory)....

If you can persuade the factory to send them out as "samples of no commercial value" or "warranty replacements parts" you may be able to sidestep some of the duty...

Not looking so interesting now... :D :rolleyes:

:)

Guest Takumi

I work for DHL, and we dont charge extra to customers who are paying the import tax, we charge shippers if they pay on behalf of the customer a flat admin charge.

6% imp tax sounds reasonable. the box would weigh in around 10kg so shipping would be very high, might void the cheapness of the rods all together..

I have bought a *lot* of stuff from the states and had it shipped over. I haven't ever bought anything with a sepecial tarrif like an LCD TV so I have always paid 17.5% plus an admin fee.

The megasquirt kit I bought from DIY autotune was declared as car parts and I still only paid 17.5% + admin fee.

DHL always charge me an admin fee of £5. The worst admin fee I have been hit with was £15. That was from Fedex.

10kg shouldn't cost too much if you get it by 4-6 week surface mail. I have had packages of hardback books at about this weight. I think it was $80 last time.