Fuel Pump Problems

Guest edders

Guest edders

Hi

Just fitting wiring loom into my DOHC kit (the loom is from the Sierra donor, which unfortunately had electric everything hence many redundant wires and plugs all over the place)

Two initial problems

1. No spark but this was traced to a bad connection and now ok

2. Cannot get the fuel pump to work. On the DOHC Sierra the pump should start up for approx 1 second when the ignition is turned on and stop if it does not sense the engine turning.

The pump is not running at all. Cannot see any obvious problems. Any suggestions were to start

Guest gavinc

did the original car have a fuel cut off in the spare wheel well or rear quarter

panel?

if it did have you refitted it or bypassed it as the the circuit will be open if not..

i believe they run a fuel pump relay is this fitted and working ok.

all you can do is check for voltage each side of the fuse and check both sides of

relay and then at pump..

basically break the circuit down into sections and check for voltage..

post your results someone might have a better idea from that.

Guest chris brown

The fuse (23) for the fuel pump is on its own in the top left hand corner of the fuse box when viewed with the majority of fuses (two rows of them) on the right. As for the relay I can’t remember which it is but is easy to find with a multimeter as one end of the fuse goes to the inertia switch and on to the pump. The other goes to the relay so by pulling the relays in turn and probing the base you will soon find it.

You say you have many redundant wires and plugs all over the place does that mean you didn’t "prune" the loom prior to fitting? If this is the case I think you will have problems in getting it in without "building" in lots of problems. It’s always a good idea to lay out the loom and go through it almost wire by wire removing what is not required (about half the loom) that way not only is it easier to recognise things later but the loom is much more manageable and can be routed easily

Guest edders

those pictures are of no use to me in my fuse box there is no realy in position d and there are no terminals either so dont say well put one in it night help as there is no terminals for it to go in

ive checked it all and i cant find a relay for the fuel pump,a fuse for the fuel pump and i know were the breaker is it hasnt been remo

The picture of the fuse box is for the done from the haynes manual, I don't know without looking at mine if there is a relay in position D, what i am telling you is that the fuel pump relay is in position 9 which controls the fuel pump not the rear wiper intermittent relay as in the picture.

Guest chris brown
also on closer inspection of the markings there is no relay in position 9
Funny you should say that I've just been out and had a look at mine and it has not got one either but ran the engine and pulled relays until it stopped and it would appear to be number 11 engine management relay. If you pull it with the ignition on then as you plug it back in the pump runs for half a second or so. If not then connect a meter to the pump wires and see if you get 12v for the half second if not try at the inertia switch if still not try at the fuse and work back that way if still nothing check you have 12v at the relay pin 30.

Edders,

What engine have you got (carb/injection) and what was the year of the donor as it looks like both these make a difference.

Chris, yours is injection thats why it uses the engine management relay.

Mine is carb and as well as using a different relay I also found out it it uses fuse 11 not 23.

Les