Eurika!

Guest ash

after hours of chain drilling / tin snipping (without alot of sucess) one of my stainless panells i've discoverd a tool called a "nibbler" fan-bloody-tastic!!! :lol:

i got it from machine mart £6.99 inc VAT page 150 in brocure best thing since sliced bread!!! :D

it also cuts square holes!!!

Guest mickmellors

Cant begin to think how ecstatic you would be if you had a Turner nibbler like mine that plugs in to the chuck of an electric drill - and way-hay off you go ! ! ! Its a yellow thing with a black handle - regularly demonstrated at trade and kit car shows cutting curves in sheet metal.

It nibbles tiny crescent moon shaped pieces off with each reciprocating stroke and then throws them for considerable distances all across the bench and floor at a rate equal to the revs of the drill !

When you sweep them up it is obligatory to leave two or three and then kneel on them using them as staples to fix overalls firmly to kneecaps !

The challenge then is to use as few expletives as possible while your wife grips them firmly with sterilised tweezers ( rusty pliers if youre HARD ! ) and pulls them out ! ! !

Seriously though it is a cracking tool and cost £25 at Newark show 3 years ago.

I think Machine Mart used to sell them also but a bit more expensive.

Guest Petemate

Hi again Ash

Yes, the nibbler is great. My lad bought one (he's building a D*x R**h) and it works quite well. However, I have a "Monodex" - same thing, but a bit more comfortable to use, the bite is a bit more in length, AND I bought it in 1960. It has the original blade, and cuts Richard's stainless with ease. We also have the yellow one that goes in a drill (which Mike mentioned) but a very steady hand is required.

Pete(Oldgit) :D

I too have the Turner nibbler drill attachment but the only thing I would warn you about is it is very hard to cut in a straight line with the darned thing.

I would suggest fixing a guide to the work piece with clamps and then you can hold the nibbler up against it when cutting.

It also works very fast and you have to be on your toes to avoid overcutting.

Still brilliant though.

Guest Alan Harrison

>>When you sweep them up it is obligatory to leave two or three and then kneel on them using them as staples to fix overalls firmly to kneecaps !<<

Some time you read stuff on this board and you think Yesssssssss! I do have relatives.

The bits you're refering to are called "nibliks" I found one living in my best shoes ( the ones for going out and visiting the doctor etc). My daughter found it for me after I developed a running sore at the base of my big toe. As you rightly point out several can be found lurking around after you've had a thorough sweep of the garage. I have found the favorite spot for them to gather is (A ) in the filter bit of the Zanusi in or (B) in the pockets of the shorts that you last took out of the cupboard on a trip to Ibeza 5 years ago!!!!!

Ahhhh life's great. I'm of to weld something. Dring beer and grease some nipples.

thanks guys a turner nibbler sounds great fun i'll keep my eye out for one at one of the shows. ;)

only problem is i'll proably get carried away and my 2B will end up looking like a piece of swiss cheese!! :huh:

cant wait till i get a "niblik"embedded someware about my person!!! :blink:

would this should count as some sort initionation into the club ,,,only then will i be a true hoody!!!!!! :p

Well I wasn't so impressed when I had to remove a niblick from my three year old daughter's foot I can tell you.

The moral is : don't use a Turner Nibbler in the garden.

As to initiation into the club, I reckon it should be the mandatory exhaust burn on the leg (actually half way between knee joint and ankle). Big Jim like them so much he's got a matching pair now.

I've got one and my build isn't even finished...

Guest TerryBarry

I have a Monodex cutter (older all metal design) but one of the fixed "anvil" plates broke and I can't find spares - tried good tool shops - No Luck

Draper do one for less than a tenner, it's not bad - and provides useful practice for cracking brazil nuts with your bare hands :rolleyes:

Terry

Guest Mr Pid

I'll have to agree with John on the burn mark.

Although i am fortunate enough not have burned myself on the exhaust i have burned most other places while working on a rather hot engine (patience is a virtue i do not possess).

Even though my exhaust has a lovely 3ft heat proof silencer it has a small piece of pipe exiting the car before this, about 6" or so. A good friend of mine managed to kneel on this when helping me with the car and left a mess of melted overalls, flesh and knee-cap. I am not sure if he qualifies though but im sure ill never make the same mistake he did! :(

Stu :rolleyes:

(note to self - must remember to let metal cool down after hectic drilling and grinding also!)

Guest DaveB

I've just got a air nibbler off ebay works a treat took a bit getting used to. £35 including post and packing brand new.

As a side issue has anyone fitted a 2b panel without needing to trim it, perhaps Richard should include a nibbler in the kit.

DaveB. :D

post-13-1059131430.jpg

Guest Battery Bill

Hi Folks

For cutting panels I think it would be hard to beat the Mini air grinder and small cutting disks. No nasty little bits to kneel on. Only problem I have is that the old compressor cant keep up and I have to let it have a rest every now and then.

We use Gilbows for the rest of the "Trimming".

I have used the nibblers at work and yes they are good But if you are cutting something like a bonnet to make a scuttle type and both side measurements are critical you would lose a couple of mm extra on your cut and might be left with too big a gap.