Alternative Engine

Guest michael.goodall2

Guest michael.goodall2

I have got my 2B on the road with a standard 2lt pinto, but wish to upgrade the engine over the winter. Therefore as a option, is it possible to fit a rover V8 into a RH 2B with the sliding pillar suspension system. I can't seem to find any definitive dimensions of a rover V8 to assess whether it will fit or not.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Mike

Guest bloke

i would love to do this

mind you i havent even started buildin yet!!

supprised to find out the v8 is lighter that a f lump

good luck

ps is the performance disapointin from 2l f lump?

Don't even think about it! one of our members put one in from the start, and it needs MAJOR modifications :( , bulkhead all needs to go backwards, chassis members need cutting out and replacing elsewhere, you will need to make your pedals from scratch, it is a nightmare! :( I am sure that he would tell you not to bother.

Have a look at this instead; :) Andy campbell's 2B

Guest michael.goodall2

Well since asking about the fitting of a rover V8 earlier and realising this was not a viable option, I am now purchasing a 2lt turbo cosworth engine.

Does anyone know how strong the std ford type 9 gearbox is, which is currently fitted to my 2lt carb pinto. The new engine is running at 270Bhp, but i know the type 9 gearbox was fitted behind the ford 3.0lt v6's, and withstood the high torques transmitted. Changing the gearbox to the cosworth one will require me to alter the prop shaft, which i would like to avoid.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Takumi

Ive read the type 9 is gd for around 200 hp, after that bits start failing. reccomend if it does fail, get replacement gear sets from quaife. expensive but bullet proof.

good luck with your YB engine.

tak

Mike

Although the YB engine is based on the Pinto Block the type 9 gearbox will not fit due to differences with the flywheel. Options are:

- Have a flywheel specially made, or

- Fit the T5 box although as the T5 is bigger I don't know if you will encounter problems with clearance in the tunnel (Why is nothing ever simple :blink:)

Please keep posting as to how you are getting on, as ultimately this is the route that I also wish to go down

Cheers

Shandylegs :D :D

Guest Takumi

If You built up a YB based on a 205 block ( 6 flywheel bolts on crank, cossy has 9!!)

you could mate to the type 9., or just get a pinto crank and fly wheel.

they have the same stroke of 76.9mm, the cltuch of the cossy is 9.5" not the similar 8.5" of the std pinto..

rec: get a pinto crank and flywheel.

hope u getin sorted ..

sounds good..

tak

• 3 weeks later...

My dad has got a 3.9 Rover v8 in his hood. It's based on a 3 series (Monocoque chasis)

It's pretty awesome. It was a one-off from RH. Although it can be fitted into a standard model, we've seen it done.

He put different cams in and now turns out about 250bhp.

Standing next to my 3 series the bonnet is slightly higher. There is no room for the rad in the engine bay so it has to go in the nose cone. Same length chassis. Had to brace the back panel because it clunked under hard accelaration.

There's an exhaust either side obviously. Sounds awesome.

Doesn't rev as high as my 2.0 pinto, clutch is really tough. That's about it really.

I'd fancy the 3sge (NA) or 3sgte (turbo) from a Toyota MR2/celica gt4. I got the 3sge in my Mr2. Very light engine, 173bhp standard and revs to 7300rpm. The newest 3sgte (only available from Japan) produces 245bhp standard and can be easily tuned to 300bhp by upping the boost on the turbo. Now that would make a mess of pretty much anything on the road. <_<

Guest alan rowe

Hi Andy -- I've also got a 3.9 Rover V8 3 series

Your details say you are near Leicester - where is your Dad - possibly we could get the 2 together and double the noise

Mine's been rolling road tested and has 240 bhp at the wheels at optimum revs of 5200

If you want to see what it looks like go to www.freewebs.com/sg7skitcars and look under "guests cars" - its the Yellow Peril

Alan

Nice car.

My dad is also in Leicester. With his being a one off, they built the car around the engine which made the engine bay higher, hence no bump or hole in the bonnet.

It is a stainless and dark green one. No plate 39 2BAD

We meet at the Hope and Anchor at Syston, Leicester last Wednesday of the month if you fancy coming down. Will also be at Donnington this Sunday.

I'm trying to convince him to Nitrous it, 20bhp percylinder seems a safe bet that would take it to over 400bhp. :blink: I think i've convinced him. We'll see.

Andy

Guest neil gale

Andy

sounds awesome!

Do you think an RH chassy would cope with 400bhp though??

I would love to fit something spectacular into my 2B, its a standard 2.0EFI Pinto at the moment, but i have a spare engine im hoping to mess about with this winter and make a 2.1, stage 2/3 head with a FR34 cam, then maybe a little NOS!!!

Not sure how it will do, but should be possible for about a grand.

I would love a big V8 or similar, but that ,ay have to wait til i can afford to start a DAX Cobra (ducks, hides.......hope i havnt offended anyone) with big chevy V8

Neil.

Hoping to do a similar thing with the Carbed Pinto with Twin 40s. Cam and Head etc. The FR34 has not got much low down torque it is all in top end horsepower. You may lose tractibility lower than 3000rpm. Better off with a FR32/33 for driveability and speed.

If your gonna do major engine mods it can sometimes be better to get a complete engine already done from someone like:

Tiger Racing

Vulcan Engines

That way you've got a bit of comeback. Before my dad got his v8 he had a heavily tuned twin carbed Pinto pushing about 175bhp but the reliability was naff. Stuff kept going wrong. He recommended that if I go down the tuned route to get one already done.

Also the Nitrous works well with a short manifold on twin carbs so this would be a nice pairing.

Andy