Exhaust Gasket

Guest Alan Harrison

Guest Alan Harrison

Just connecting my exhaust. I notice that one of the new gaskets is different from the rest. It's a bit thicker and blue where the other three are grey. The RH 4>1 exhaust is quite bendy and will take up the difference I think, but it there something more I should know here?

thanks

Guest graham dockerill

Alan if you line them up you will see one sits the other way round (I think it's the front one) anyway you can not get them wrong regards Graham

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Takumi

Did you chamfer the inner lip of the exhaust tubes where they meet the head..

If not, dont worry, but simple things like this can flow gases smoother, and can help economy and reduce stroke loss.

- get some exhaust wrapping this makes more of a difference than you may think. in high rpm engines if the exhaust gases cool too quickly, as they leave the chamber, they slow down and slow the flow of higher velocity exaust gases behind them and this can cause a pressure gradient, -reducing high velocity exhuast flow. keeping the gas as hot as possible until it leaves the exhaust system is good thing..

enjoy your new shiny exhaust :)

tak

Tak -

That's an intersting point. I thought of wrapping my manifold in heat tape but realised this would only make the external parts of the exhaust system even hotter ( = more dangerous).

On the plus side it would help keep the engine bay cool, which is why I considered it in the first place.

But for a road car does the pressure gradient really make that much difference? You're not going to be driving on the Queen's highways with your pedal to the metal all the time, surely.

J

Guest Anthony B

All

I have wrapped my exhaust all the way down to the side panel and it does make a very noticeable difference in performance..engine feels much more lively.

Ant