Clutch Cable

Guest Alan Harrison

Guest Alan Harrison

My clutch cable runs between the two front exhaust pipes and I can foresee trouble ahead with the outer cable melting. I recall some discussion about getting a longer cable made up so it can be routed away from the exhaust. Anyone any ideas about this? How much would a custom cable cost do you think?

Ok.. which one of you has got my speedo cable circlip :unsure:

Guest Andy Rathbone

sorry cant help with the speedo cable circlip but i imagine they are pence from the ford dealer, my cable goes between pots 2 and 3, rather than try a custom cable i used 3 juberlee clips, wire mesh and rock wool,

the method

put small clip on cable(this is to stop the sausage slipping down the cable.

wrap the cable in rockwool and then wire mesh to retain the wool.

add two larger clips to hold the wool and mesh together.

tip pack the wool quite tightly around the cable :blink:

my wool is about half inch thick all the way round the cable.

its a lot cheeper than a custom cable and looks quite neat to.

hope this helps

andy

Guest mark kingston

I made up a bracket with a metal tube attached to it which mounted on two of the exhaust manifold studs such that the tube was in the middle of the two branches and extened down past them , i then wrapped the cable in the suspect area with exhaust wrap and poked it down the tube..

car has done over 1100 miles now with no problems.

Best regards

Mark kingston

Guest Mr Pid

A couple of us who pursued this onto the "getting a cable" made avenue found that pretty much the only company offerring a lengthenned cable was called Cable-Tec (if searching try various spellings, cant remember exactly). They will make a cable to your exact specifications. ;)

I will be going down this route, but have yet to phone them, the contortions my cable suffers in by-passing a stupid huge turbo make it a little stiff for my liking, plus ive already melted a couple already and these were WELL wrapped! :o

Good luck, HTH

Stu :rolleyes: