Ignition Light

Guest Ken Brough

Guest Ken Brough

After swapping the sierra binacle for indipendent gauges i have a problem with the ignition light. When i turn on the ignition i get no innition light, however when i start the engine a few seconds later the light comes on. The problem is the alternator is putting out nearly 14 volts so it's not a charging issue.

Can anyone describe how the circuit works. ps Vicky Green loom( worked fine on sierra binacle and Pinto).

Thanks

Basically the lamp is fed with +12volts ignition feed to one side and the other goes to the field winding of the alternator. When the alternator isn't turning the alternator earths the lamp through the field winding and it illuminates. When the alternator turns and begins charging the field winding gives out the charging voltage and the lamp has 12 volts both sides and it goes out.

Sounds like you may have the lamp grounded instead of fed from ignition, it would have been fed an ignition feed internally in the Sierra binnacle.

Hope it makes sense.

Jez

Guest Ken Brough

Thanks Jez i seem to think that i have the vicky green ign wire to one side of the bulb and an earth to the other side of the bulb. Are you saying that i do not need a seperate earth. Thanks

Ken