Oil Coolers

Guest Takumi

Guest Takumi

I have got very recently an EARLS oil cooler of 10 rows capcity of about 200ml, Ive cleaned it all back up and with it there were some OMERI anodised blue alloy hose unions (look fab.)

Has anyone seen before and After effects of an Oil Cooler, does it make the engine run a little cooler.?

The cooler looks like new now and so I want to plumb it in, does anyone have a filter sandwich plate w/push connectors for a pinto (burtons are £19)..

Guest cjbailey

Surely for 'ordinary' use an oil cooler will just introduce increased wear in the engine? The oil will take longer to reach the necessary viscosity (?sp) and therefore will not lubricate the engine as efficiently for a much longer time whilst warming up. I don't know whether this is the case, but this is what common sense would tell me!

Guest TerryBarry

I don't think an oil cooler will increase wear.

Modern oils are fairly thin at low temperatures and don't thin that much as the temperature rises ( this is why they have for example a 10/40W viscosity index). Part of the purpose of the oil is to aid cooling of the engine.

An oil cooler increases the amount of oil in the system whilst taking some heat out of the circulating lubricant.

Cheers,

Terry

Guest trevor hooley

BEWARNED- - I had a mocal oil cooler fitted on a stg 3 `1600 pinto in my exmo, if you use the normal method of fitment with jubilleee clips etc, an oil surge under heavy load / cornering will blow the pipe off the sandwitch plate, ( it happend to me) this could leave you with a seriously damaged bottom end, (as with me) and a large repair bill. Having spoken to merlin motorsport and deamon tweeks it seems pintos should have swaged hoses.......

karl

Guest Takumi

! I dont believe for a minute that an oil cooler will increase wear because oil will take longer to warm up.. what is GTX Magnatec designed for..?

I dont get what will cause oil surging when cornering.. :s

my OMORI connectors are push fit design so thats what they expect people to use, they cant not work--. is it maybe when there is a gap in the oil feed via sloshing around in the sump..

Ive still got to get the sandwich plate and a few meters ofd HP oil pipe, then I can sell my remote filter kit (Mazda MX5 and Pinto !!), and use my cooler at the same time.. :)

Looks absolutey fab. :)

thanks for replies

tak

Guest morty

Tak,

don't they have, or can't you get thermostats for oil coolers, in the sandwich plate? I'm sure I've seen them in demon thieves, about £30 with push on fittings.

Over cooling of oil solved!

Morty

Guest Takumi

I dont think there is space to fit a sandwich plate (oil take-off) between the filter and the block,

as the filter will be touching the engine mounting arm, Im thinking that I will have to use the remote filter parts to move the filter to the square section just infront of the engine and mounth the cooler on the section immediately below..

If I cant be bothered, it will all be for sale in a few months..hehe

thanks for all your replies.

tak

Guest paul mercer

I've got an oil cooler plate on my cossie. it uses the same engine mounts and block as the pinto. the 2wd oil filter fits fine. It's the 4wd one which is slightly longer and doesnt fit.

If you don't fit a thermostat then it will increase engine wear. By how much it increases it all depends on the effectivness of the cooler, and how you drive, but it will definitely increase engine wear by some amount. You get wear with cold oil, and with overly thin oil. As the oil warms it thins, hence there's an optimum temperature. Fitting a thermostat ensures that the oil doesn't go over the optimum, but doesn't overly cool the oil so that it never reaches it. Without a thermostat you'll have overly cooled oil, thicker oil, increased pump wear, lower oil pressure, and a slower flow rate.

The proper solution is to fit a thermostat, either as a sandwich plate to a smaller filter (if space becomes tight), or to fit a take off plate with a thermostat and then have a remote filter.

Personally, for a standard 2l pinto installation, I wouldn't bother. Just measure the oil quantity when you fill it, have a shortened sump and expansion box as per the main RHOCAR site build tips, and then keep the level at that point when you top up.

Ant

If you fit an oil cooler sandwich plate, then you can fit a thinner oil filter that was made for the V6 engine (I think!) anyway, if you go to the build tips page on the NW site, there's a picture and part number of it. (and it fits, cause it was on mine!)

post-6-1060380816.jpg

Guest Mr Pid

Just thinking about the mechanics of all this-

I have an oil cooler which i will be fitting to the more powerful engine- but how exectly does the thermostat work? :huh:

Does it allow more oil to flow when it is cool and less when it is hot- if this is the case surely the oil capacity ni the block will be up and down like a yo yo. I mean if you have say 4.5 litres in the engine which stay in the block unitl it is warm, what happens when the thermostat lets it go to the cooler? If the cooler can hold say 1.5 - 2.0 litres of oil (inlcuding all pipework) then the block had very little oil left to keep everything nice and slick? :o

DO you have to top the engine up when it is hot and so when the thermostat shuts off when it is cool enough the surplus oil just remains in the cooler until required again? B)

Sorry for being paranoid but lack of oil was one of the reasons why my other engine went bang. :(

Cheers

Stu :rolleyes: