New 2b - Chassis Prep

Guest Dan_Beeston

Guest docter fox

I've got a very big tin of hammerite and I'm going to use it all somewhere even if it means a few coats every year on some parts :lol: :D

Guest salty_monk

I think POR15 chassis paint is quite highly regarded.. (Think I've got that name right).

I used Hammerite with some success but it was really only touch up jobs... :)

Guest docter fox

touching up a few stonechips on wishbones doesn't take much but I think I'd probably look at something like that if doing the whole thing

Guest Charles B

The grade of stainless used on our cars is ferritic, ( that's why it is magnetic)so it will rust, but very slowly. If you don't scratch the oxide layer, it will stay that way for a very long time, so just polish the bits you can see. If you can be bothered, it is a good idea to get some pickling paste, and treat the welds from new. That will make a big difference. The plus side is that this grade of stainless suffers far less from stress corrosion fractures.

Guest elwe

The grade of stainless used for the chassis is printed on it. I can't go and look at the minute but I think its 419.

The extra 2m I bought a couple of weeks back were from a different manufacturer and don't have the grade marked on so there may be chassis without the grade marked on.