Easy Fix ?

Guest vacinc

Guest mark kingston

is it a rear caliper??

If so on most cars as it has the auto ajuster built in for the hand brake you usually screw it back in which then allows the piston to go back.

Guest vacinc
is it a rear caliper??

If so on most cars as it has the auto ajuster built in for the hand brake you usually screw it back in which then allows the piston to go back.

no its a front , but i"ve been there with the back ones that screw in, its the seal i cant get back in

Guest vacinc
We did that on a Rover caliper.

It took two of us working together, one armed with a blunt plastic tool to get the little bu**er in

used a lollypop stick, and many other things, but no joy. ill give it another go tonight

the best thing to do is to take it, along with it's mate, to the nearest decent Motorfactors and swap them for a pair of professionally reconditioned ones. they're about £23 each.

I don't know about you, but I like to be able to stop the thing!

Guest Stevieshood

I got recons too. Most of the Sierra calipers I've seen have big pits in the pistons, and probably haven't seen a brake fluid change since the car ran out of warranty :D

Guest vacinc
the best thing to do is to take it, along with it's mate, to the nearest decent Motorfactors and swap them for a pair of professionally reconditioned ones. they're about £23 each.

I don't know about you, but I like to be able to stop the thing!

thanks jim, i think ill do that, iv"e given up trying to get it back in

Guest Dan_Beeston

Hi Vacinc,

Just in case you're tempted to have another bash at this, I found the piston and seal need to go in at the same time, it is very difficult to fit the seal with the piston in place.

(If the piston doesn't want to come out, a quick blast of compressed air up it's orifice soon shifts it!)

Then lubricate everything lightly with brake fluid and stretch the seal over the very bottom of the piston. Holding the inner bit of the seal on the bottom of the piston pull the rest of it down in to a sort of cone shape & fit the outer edge of the seal in the recess in the caliper. When the piston is pushed back in to the caliper the inner edge should slide up the piston until it reached the groove at the top of the piston, where it will snap in place. After that it will move with the piston like it's supposed to & bob's your uncle.........

Hope this helps,

Dan

Guest vacinc

thanks, for the replys, at the min, i"ve put some copper grease in behind the seal until i get around to getting new ones, funds are low, after getting new rims, cheers

Guest chris brown
they're about £23 each.
They seem to have gone up Jim I paid £24 a couple of weeks ago. If your funds are low take the old one with you when you collect the new one as there is usually something like £25 surcharge which is refundable when you return the old one (now don’t get excited you tight lot. You can’t go down the scrapies get one and then hand it in and claim, as it has to be in the box the new one came in)

As Jim says fit a new (reconditioned) one its your brakes/life your talking about.

Guest docter fox

I seem to remember bill saying they were about double that but perhaps that was for 2 :lol:

one of mine is sticking so I may have to look at sum recon'd ones ;)

Guest vacinc

i"ve a freind in the motor trade, i"ve got him on the ball, he"s getting them trade for me, i"ll post a price, in a few days. i told him £23 a side he said that sounds cheep ?