Which Electric Fan For The Exmo?

Guest boggie

Guest boggie

OK, so I decided not to go to the scrapper this weekend as it was far to hot to go clambering around looking for an expansion tank. So the plan is to go in the next few weeks to get one (probably from a cortina if I can find one) but I have also decided to get myself an electric fan as the seven spewed out a lot of water in the 100 degree heat on Sunday. The standard viscous fan which is too far from the rad (2") and has no shroud simply could not keep up so the plan is to fit an electric fan between the rad and the engine (if there is enough room) and remove the original unit.

So the questions are:

"Which fan / shroud assambly will fit directly onto the mounting lugs of the RHE radiator"

and

"Will there be enough room between the rad and the timing belt / crankshaft pulley etc".

The car is an Exmo with the radiator mounted on the rear of the front crossmembers in front of the engine. I have the standard RHE supplied radiator (cortina?) and will be removing the viscous fan to give me more room to play with. I will also be blanking off the gaps around the radiator so that all the air has to come through the rad and need to find a 'Suck' type fan which I plan to operate with an inline, adjustable fan switch fitted into the top hose.

Any help / advice gratefully received,

Cheers, Boggie

Guest Bazwaz

Before moving my radiator into the nosecone i had the same problem. The fan i used was from a nissan cherry/sunny as they are quite slim. On the nissan they are fitted in front of the rad so i reversed the fan blades on the motor and reveresd the wires and fitted it behind the rad using cable ties so it sucked rather than blowed. As you know the rad on the exmo is very inefficient mounted where it is and would recommend putting it in the nosecone. A bit of extra work but its well worth it. And theres bags of room to mount any fan.

Barry.

The cooling system wasn't keeping up in my S7 so I followed the advice I've seen on here in the past and moved the rad forwards to put it in front of some of the holes and try to force more air through it. I also wanted a better fan. The fan that came with it had b*ggered bearings and made an awful noise so I had fitted a Metro one that was lying around. I spent Sunday scouring scrap-yards for a Granada Scorpio or a late Sierra with air-con as these have a massive diameter fan in front of the rad. Unfortunately the only one I could find was on a car that had been front-ended and once I got at it it didn't turn. :angry:

In the end I gave up and threw money at the problem. I have fitted a new fan from Car Builder Solutions www.nfauto.co.uk This thing is only 10" in diameter but it's rating (795cfm) leaves the bigger Kenlowe stuff standing. The car now sits and ticks over until the fan kicks in and cools itself down until the fan switches off. Sorted :)

Given more time I would have stuck out for the Ford item as it is even better but I want to be able to go to Harrogate in it at the weekend.

Iain

You have a number of options:

Leave the rad where it is, cowl the fan in and it will be just fine. I made a wooden "plug" then made a fibreglass cowl to fit mine, no problem. Costs about £10 for fibreglass.

Remove the viscous fan and fit an "pulling" electric fan. This means finding one that fits in the space available, either from the local scrappy, or new. It will also need switching (through a relay, of course)

Remove the viscous fan & move the radiator into the nosecone, you can then fit whatever fan you find (citreon BX are excellent "blower" fans) but you will need to make up brackets & hoses etc. Also don't forget to switch through a relay.

Any of these options will work. If fitting an electric fan, I personally recomend you fit an "in line" temp switch from Premier wiring (I have the 2 temp switch, coupled to a 2 speed fan)

Also use the wiring diagram in our build tips.

NW build tips

post-6-1060950952.jpg