What Donor Car?

Guest the_did

Guest the_did

Firsty, Hello to you all.

I have just brought a 2B/4 fit and now need to start looking for a donor car.

I know I need a 2.0l Pinto (carb) Sierra. Does the year or chassis number matter?

Cheers

Karl

Guest docter fox

it doesn't matter if you get an injection one, it will be a stronger block, better flowing head and it's easy enough to change it over to carb, welcome to the club :)

Guest Nishka

Hi and welcome to the club. :D

Before anyone else says it; fill in you details so people know where you are and can come and tyre kick, drink your tea, eat all your Hobnobs and generally take the urine. :unsure: :D B)

Also invest in the best tool in the world - only cost £15 which is an absolute bargain and will repay it self over and over agian : Join the club.

2006 Membership Form

Have fun

Nishka :ph34r:

Guest chris brown
it's easy enough to change it over to carb,
What a retrograde step. Stick with injection easy to fit as the engine loom comes as a separate part and if you like me don’t like the lump in the bonnet then its not difficult to cut the plenum down as lots of us have done. Also another tip I would use the Sierra loom regardless of whether you go carb or injection. Take your time removing it and tag all ends even those you know you will never use again as it will be several months before you come back to it again.

Do a list of "wants" and do not aim for the stars in the sense of buying all the expensive stuff. Build it, get it on the road, then add all the good stuff.

As for a donor, get one that you can see running and keep it all until you are sure you know were everthing goes. There are so many little bits i mislaid that i wish i had kept.

I lost the plot for a while and spent much, much more than i should have and got no further with the build.

Forum can comment but i think the order of build is something like.

Suspension/rolling chassis, dont worry about the fancy wheels just yet.

Brakes, handbrake included. ( get this finished to your satisfaction before moving on) Run fuel lines while doing the pipe work, 2 incase you go fuel injected later.

Electrics, once this is done ( and there is always a bit of tweeking to do) will be one of the milestones in the build. (i am just there now)

Engine and gearbox in and running, now it moves under its own steam.

Get to this point and although there is still a lot to do, to all intents and purposes you have a car.

And keep asking for help, you might get a few different ways of doing it but there is loads of experience here.

Guest crwoodford

Hi Karl,

If Carlsberg made Kit Car Builder/Owner Forums... this would probably be it!!

To add to the advice already given, I would definately suggest that unless it is already done.... get the sump and pup shortened, saves a lot of hassle doing it before the engine is in.

Cheers

Col (Taunton)

Guest the_did

Many thanks for your replys. I will definately be joining as Im sure I will need some (ok alot of!) help.

I am really looking to take my time with this project and make sure a very high quality product appears at the end.

I've already got a pair of twin40's for the engine and I'm looking to go down the 2.1 route. I'm yet to pick the kit up as we are moving on the 3rd July to a new house with a garage - hence the kit. Ive owned a few performance cars in my time - 2 MR2 Turbos, FRST, 3 Capris and XR2 and XR2i. I'm looking for this car to be the quickest yet!

Guest hypermick

Welcome Karl,. enjoy the build !! :D

The main thing to remember is follow your own mechanical instincts, especially with the 2B, and particularly if you spot a better way of doing something. ;)

Also ask loads of questions if youre not sure about an aspect of the build :huh: . You can bet a handful of folks in here will have come across the same problem too !! ;) ;) ;)

Mick

Guest chris brown
I'm looking for this car to be the quickest yet!
It wont be the quickest (top speed that is) "bricks" never are and that is about what a 7 is. Open wheeled cars will never be as fast as closed wheel of the same power. You only have to look at something like the MG Lola AER to realise that it has a 2 ltr engine yet has a faster top speed than a F1 car. But your 0 to 60 or even 80 will be quicker but there is what appears to be a brick wall at 100 and from there up is slow progress regardless of power

Guest the_did

0-60 and 80 is really what im looking for in this car. I know it wont quite be the 160mph+ from the Mr2 turbo but im not really bothered about going that fast.

Just aquired a C reg 2L pinto powered sierra last night. Ill post some pics after I pic it up at 12.