Increase Your Carrying Capacity

Guest John M.

Guest cjbailey
Thats a trailer isnt it?

I think nomis is referring to a fixed box with wheels attached to it? Sort of like a wheely bar type thing to stop the front wheels coming off of the ground.

Guest Petemate

Hi all

I think this has been discussed before, but how about the idea (from YEARS ago) whereby a rig was attached to the towbar, or frame, which could hinge along the lateral axis of attachment but with a central underslung castoring wheel? If I could only master the art of illustrations, I would show what I mean, though if there are any of you all old enough you may remember these rigs. As they were attached to the vehicle, they were not considered a trailer but of course had to have lights, numberplate etc.

Pete(Oldgit)

Not wanting to put your lad off his project, but Hoodies being some of the most resourceful types of people, most things have been tried, from bread tray's to fish boxes, I've seen them all, bolted to the roll over bar, spare wheel etc.

We have a couple of designs on our web site, see if he can improve on them.

NW build tips.

Guest Mr Pid

I am very interested to know what you come up with-

If your son is following the RHSC method to the letter and incorporating the fact that you are recommended to use the sierra fuel tank (even though this route is not followed the more sensible builders who usually opt for a stainless tank or mini tank etc)

I was one one of the few who shoehorned the sierra tank and the only boot space i have will just about accommodate my siamese kitten who likes to curl up in there and go to sleep!

I have a mini tank but putting it in is more of a mission than i though, so if your son can come up with a better way for luggage storing then a few pints will definately be in order.

The best bet is probaly something like a rack, but bare in mind those who have a "hood" on our hood and once this is up there isnt that much space behind the seats. One good idea is some sort of quick release system so that fitting some sort of rack is not as difficult as building the rest of the car, and if you are going for a short break etc, you can easily whip it off rather than looking like a tourist all the time without having to carry a set of spanners with you.

Trying t find another place to fit it will be difficult and if like most cars which are unique in their rightful way, making it fit in an awkward place might rule other cars incorporating it as the buiilder may have fitted another item in that place instead. I guess the only space which is moderately similar on the majority of cars is the area behind the seats.

Hope this helps

Stu :rolleyes:

Guest John M.

A BIG THANK YOU

TO ALL THOSE WHO TOOK THE TIME TO REPLY TO MY LAST NOTICE.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND IDEAS YOU PUT FORWARD IT WAS MUCH APPRECIATED. I WAS REALLY SURPRISED BY THE AMOUNT OF REPLIES I RECEIVED. I AM VERY GRATEFUL THAT YOU TOOK THE TIME TO REPLY TO IT AND I FOUND IT MOST HELPFUL AS UP TO THAT POINT I HAD NO IDEA OF WHAT TO PRODUCE

I HAVE TAKEN ONBOARD ALL OF YOUR IDEAS AND WILL BE INCLUDING THEM IN MY PROJECT.

I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED WITH REGARDS TO MY IDEAS AND THE FINAL PRODUCT.

DYLAN M.

PS MY DAD’S IDEA IS A METAL VERSION OF AN EXTENDABLE SOUTH ASIAN RICE COOKING POT – IT’S HIS WORKSHOP SO THAT MAY BE THE DESIGN THAT GETS PRODUCED !!