Engines

Guest horncock

Guest horncock

Does anyone have any top tips to help me decide if the second hand 2litre pinto engine I have just bought is any good ? I bought the engine lose and have not heard it running, the vendor assured me it was a " good en" ( they always say that)

I was just going to get a rebuilt item when, surprise surprise another demand from the Inland revenue lands on the mat.

Is it worth taking the head off and looking at the bores, but what about the head and the crank ? I ve got limited amounts of time allowed for cars but aparently plenty for diy.

Please advise.

If you have a compression tester (or access to one) that will tell you the condition or at least a fair pointer to the condition.

If I were you I would get it running and then you will have a better idea. If it smokes it could be the valve stem seals as these tend to go first.

If you have lots of spare money you could recon the engine.

Dave

My 2p

Guest Takumi

Unfortunatley you cant trust anyone these days..

Do a short rebuilt - take the head off - and sump off and degrease the lot.

check the cam lobes for edges of wear, and the bearing surfaces are smooth (polish them. with brasso hehe) and the bearing shells in the carriers are not damaged..

Maybe if you feel like it seperate the conrod big end bearings, and see what they look like, use new bolts when putting them back - (tighten to 35 lbft) there only about £1.20 each and nuts £0.60.

you will need a head set, if you can find one ( halfords were selling off all there pinto stuff cheapo, as there not going to stock things like gaskets sets for pintos anymore..if you local halfords has any still in stock there about £9.00 for an entire head set. inc HeadGasket, exh, Int, Cam cover, stem oil seals, t/stat housing ..ect)

will oil filer and cam belt and sump gasket (£12.00)

at most it will cost you £40 to half rebuild - well worth it.:)

hope it goes well.

tak..

p.s started my 1800 this evening for the first time in the car. :) fab.

If you're doing it on a budget, don't bother with any kind of rebuild apart from new gaskets on the sump and rocker cover, clean it, stick it in and run it, if you then keep your eyes open for an injection car that is still running, with shot bodywork (you should get an MOT failure for next to nowt!) take the engine out, clean it up, and stick it in the back of the garage with a bit of clean oil in the bores. If you blow up the first one, its only ½ day to change them over, with your carbs etc. already there

Guest Takumi

Definately look out for a inj engine, with the 205 block. :)

I got a 2.0i sierra ('84) for £5 !!!!! the engine had been reconditioned, the owner didnt really know...

Ive rebuild the engine from almost a bare block, I left the crank in the block.

The cylinder head has been gasflowed and has high flow valves, a DGAV manifold and 32/36 DGAV. Im hoping for over 120hp. (115hp inj std) :S

but without a different cam, I doubt it will push out over 130hp.

Remeber that the Inj conrods will rev to 7500rpm with a light weight piston, and 7250 with the std item, HD bigend bolts are required the realise this rpm.

Idealy Im looking for a set of ARP conrod bolts and a rev cut limiter for 7000rpm.

Hopefully this will give a high level of reliability and a good output.

I want to keep this engine for a replacement for my 1800 which is in the car, after that swap, I want to look for a YB cylinder head to prep, and throttle bodies, EXP48 management.. probably good for 180hp+ :):):)

wish me luck..hehe

tak