Pinto Popping And Now Won't Idle

geoff shep

I have a pinto of unknown origin, probably cortina, with a DGAS carb. It ran well before but not much over the last year or two. Decided to upgrade a few bits so removed the head and fitted 285 cam. Put it back together and (surprised myself!) it fired up first time. Drove fine to MOT and drove fine around town. Went out today for a 80-odd mile trip initially fine but from about halfway it began to pop a lot on the overrun and would not stay running at idle. Starts OK but will only stay running with a bit of throttle. Slight (?) unevenness on power delivery maybe too.

Anyway, got home, checked it over, nothing too obvious but timing a bit retarded so advanced it slightly and all seemed fine. Quick test and first couple of junctions no problem but soon after same problem - cutting out at idle at each stop and now won't idle again. A couple of times after that it would start OK but once the throttle was opened and then closed it would cut out again.

On closer inspection I may have a slight weep from the head gasket joint. Nothing else disturbed, ie carb etc during head off operation. Any takers??