Exmo Plus - Double Wishbone!

Guest robinperks
Well it's untested as of yet, need to finish the car now and then we will see. Looks the part though, and I kept the Sierra front track width :)

Slightly puzzled, what is the significance of having the top wishbones mounted slightly further out than the bottom? is there a rule of thumb here?

Guest timswait

Top wishbones should be shorter than the bottom ones, that's why they're mounted further outboard.

With equal length parallel wishbones the wheel moves straight up and down. This is good for maintaining grip over bumps in a straight line, but pretty useless around corners where the car's body roll will cause the tyre to lean over and loose grip. Unequal length wishbones mean the wheel has more negative camber as it goes up. This is less good over bumps, but better in a corner because it keeps the tyre vertical (and so generating maximum grip) as the car's body rolls.

Guest robinperks
Top wishbones should be shorter than the bottom ones, that's why they're mounted further outboard.

With equal length parallel wishbones the wheel moves straight up and down. This is good for maintaining grip over bumps in a straight line, but pretty useless around corners where the car's body roll will cause the tyre to lean over and loose grip. Unequal length wishbones mean the wheel has more negative camber as it goes up. This is less good over bumps, but better in a corner because it keeps the tyre vertical (and so generating maximum grip) as the car's body rolls.

Thanks for that, think ill just use the same kind of measurement of a locost, the only other addition is on the set of wishbones i have bought there is a place to fit a antiroll bar, any point to this or is it for track days only?

Guest timswait

An anti roll bar probably isn't really necessary, very few people use them on sevens, but it provides an extra thing to fiddle with to get the handling 'just right'. In theory you can run softer spring and damper settings, and so get improved ride and grip over bumps, while still having a high resistance to body roll so good cornering. If you go too stiff with it though then you can actually degrade grip over bumps, you loose some of the benefit of independent suspension.

I don't have one, I wouldn't mind fitting one, but there's a whole lot of other things I'd like to improve on the car which will make more difference first.

Guest robinperks
An anti roll bar probably isn't really necessary, very few people use them on sevens, but it provides an extra thing to fiddle with to get the handling 'just right'. In theory you can run softer spring and damper settings, and so get improved ride and grip over bumps, while still having a high resistance to body roll so good cornering. If you go too stiff with it though then you can actually degrade grip over bumps, you loose some of the benefit of independent suspension.

I don't have one, I wouldn't mind fitting one, but there's a whole lot of other things I'd like to improve on the car which will make more difference first.

Thanks for that, i think in that case ill leave anti roll bar mounting on the wishbones and upgrade in the future, cheers Rob

Guest salty_monk

Some would argue here... The 2b does roll quite a lot on track & the S7's have them (or tie bars...)

Westfield do them as an option Dax's have them on I think...

Dan :)

Guest timswait

It does depend a lot on preference and what the cars being used for, but I wouldn't say they are 'necessary', and its probably best to start without one or with a soft one and progressively stiffen it to taste.

A freind of mine built a Mk1 Golf, and says the thinking on them varies depending on where you come from. In Germany (where roads are usually lovely and smooth) its normal to leave the factory standard one or remove it altogether and fit very stiff springs. In the UK its more usual to leave the springs soft and fit a massive anti roll bar.

In the end my friend went for massive anti roll bars and very stiff springs with the result it makes a robin hood feel like a magic carpet ride!