Will This Be Any Good?

Guest johnboymac

Guest johnboymac

hi guys - I have a bit of an urgent query -

I am currently seeking another donor (previous one was cvh) engined. I have sourced a suitably priced mot failure but it is a G reg 2L injection - I know that it was f reg cars that switched to cvh - but when did 2l go dohc? am I wasting time going to view this one (the vendor didn't know his pinto from a punto!).

any help much appreciated.

John

Mine was an August 1989 G reg and it's the injection SOHC (pinto) version. They changed late 89 or 90. Best bet is to ask them if is says "DOHC" in big letters under the bonnet. The SOHC ones have "EFi" in huge letters on the inlet manifold, and the DOHC's have "DOHC" on the rocker cover.

Ant

Guest TerryBarry

Hi John,

According to the literature the Sierra switched from 2.0 SOHC (Pinto) to DOHC in June 1989.

You would think that G reg cars had DOHC.

My 2.0 donor was built in Dec 88 but not registered until June 89 and had a Pinto.

The difference is obvious when you open the bonnet

The top of the Pinto engine is about 6 inches wide - the DOHC is about a foot wide and has 2.0 LITRE & DOHC embossed on the top.

One would hope that the vendor could open the bonnet and check for you.

Cheers

Terry

Guest johnboymac

I might be in luck then - the one thing he did know mention was that it was 2litre EFi - so might be ok, Im sure he would go and take a look for me - but hes at work at the mo - like myself, and the plan is for me to go there after work rather than home (since it would be a 50 miles round trip otherwise).

thanks for the pointers - Johnboy

Guest SteveL
hi guys - I have a bit of an urgent query -

I am currently seeking another donor (previous one was cvh) engined. I have sourced a suitably priced mot failure but it is a G reg 2L injection - I know that it was f reg cars that switched to cvh - but when did 2l go dohc? am I wasting time going to view this one (the vendor didn't know his pinto from a punto!).

any help much appreciated.

John

Simple test. Get him to look at the engine. If the exhaust exits on the drivers side of the block, and the Injection manifold is on the right, it's a Pinto.

Steve