Silencer

Guest Gerry Kemp

Guest Gerry Kemp

Hi All

The SS silencer on my 2B was getting very loud, SVA's last Sep. 4500 miles done. Took it off cut a 1½" X 9" slot along the outside and found not a scrap of wadding. (I had previously put fibreglass insulation in with the sheet wadding. All gone.

With some heat and a metal pole, I straigtened out the 4 dents in the perforated pipe to allow good gas flow, and repacked with Merlin Wadding at £12.50 a kilo, or should that be euros per kilo.

I can now hear all the other noises, like birds singing.

A patch and some goo, all under the 'anti leg burn' heat shield and happy neighbours again.

hope this is of use to someones

NO WADDING AT ALL LEFT - wow!

Gerry

That's very interesting because at 3500 miles since SVA I swear mine gets louder by the day!

Any tips for how to get the thing open, and how to seal it up again? Also, how much wadding did you use?

Ant

Guest Gerry Kemp

I bought a kilo and used about 3/4 of it. Cutting the can was done with a stainless 4" cutting disc on a grinder. Long rectange. After adding the wadding (with gloves, it bites a bit) and jamming it in really well, I placed the removed bit over the wadding. Then cut a stainless patch to cover the removed bit and the edges. A dozen rivets later and Bob something.

The removed bit (behind the patch, stay with it.) will eventually rattle and tell me the wadding is in need of replacement again.

I think the dents in the perforated tube are a mistake, the removal of exhaust gas is one problem, the noise is another problem. I believe the dents cause the hot gas to bugger up the wadding sooner. Time will tell. :unsure:

HTH

GK

Guest Gerry Kemp

Could we be related. He could be old enough to be me dad. That Northern accent keeps coming through thar knows like. Did he have a bike. Was my mum really that short sighted as well. A bin, red traffic light? stranger things have been told of up t'North. Ecky thump hats too - aaaaaaargh! No more please. Time for medication and a lie down.

GK

Guest jwaterman

I had exactly the same problem. While i was on my 3000 europe tour i noticed the exhaust getting louder. I had a new stainless silencer so cut the old one about a bit and put it in front of the new sliencer. Result a much quieter system, certainly will bar the new wadding mod in mind. cos my old silencer had lost most of its wadding. I have done a total of 7000 miles since the car passed its sva in april. did the conversion 1000 miles ago time will tell.

john

I reckon it's about time I did this mod. Mine is no longer getting louder, but in the past few days it's started to squeak and rattle ... very very annoying when out and about in town!

So ... I buy my wadding from Merlin for 12 quid ... I cut open the silencer ... what will I find?

Is the silencer a big empty void, or is there a perforated pipe down the middle?

Anyone got any photos of the inside of a silencer?

Any other tips and tricks other than what Garry's already said in this thread?

The reason I ask rather than just getting on with the job is that my 2B is my daily transport at the moment so it has to be dismantled and back on the road again within a day really.

Cheers

Ant

I fitted Merlin the magician's magic exhaust wadding last night, it took about 2 hours using Garry's method. Worked a treat, sounds great and is over £100 cheaper than the new box I was quoted for on Saturday.

Thanks for the advice Garry

Regards

Graham

Sorry that I didn't manage to photograph it before re-sealing the silencer, however it was just an empty cylinder with a perforated tube running through the centre. No baffles or anything else inside.

Its certainly more bearable now, no deafness in the right ear anymore. Can even communicate with with the wife now ( well you can't win everything).

All the best

Graham

Re-packed my silencer last night, and had the digital camera to hand so I took a few photos along the way. This may be of interest to others considering this job.

When I opened up the silencer it had some wadding in it, but all stuffed towards the rear of the box:

opened_box_1.jpg

opened_box_2.jpg

opened_box_3.jpg

The squeeking noises had been coming from the perforated pipe down the middle of the silencer. This has broken in the centre, and the edges of the break were rubbing against each other. This seems to be caused by engine movement. If I tugged at the front silencer tube I could make it squeek. I poked about in the break and pushed the metal apart slightly until it stopped squeeking. The break allows the silencer to flex slightly so I don't plan on repairing it. If I did it would either break again, or I would need to fit a flexible join between it and the engine.

Anyhow, here it is after re-stuffing:

stuffed.jpg

I bought 1kg of brown wadding from Merlin motor-sport as recommended above, and leaving in the wadding which was already there I too used about 3/4 of what I bought. Very prompt service from Merlin - ordered last Friday afternoon and it arrived Sat am - about 20 quid including vat and delivery.

I rivetted a piece of stainless over the hole, with the cut out section rivetted to the plate in the middle to act as a centre for lining it up. I put exhaust sealant around the edges before rivetting it all together. Here's the messy looking finished job. Remember that the heat shield covers it all up so the paste isn't seen in the end.

finished_sealed_up.jpg

And that's that. It doesn't squeek and rattle any more, and the exhaust certainly has a different note. It's just as much fun when I put my foot down, but it's a much more refined low exhaust note rather than the screams which it used to give out.

A job well worth doing I reckon. Just a shame I didn't do it before I fitted the silencer in the first place because I painted the whole thing in ceramic thermal resistant paint when I fitted it, but now there's an unpainted panel on the silencer. It's all out of sight though because I've re-fitted the heat shield over it all.

Cheers

Ant