Speeding Fine Dated April 09 -2006

Guest craig030774

I'm not anti police, far from it, i think they do a good job considering all the cr*p and abuse they have to put up with.

But, i can understand people getting annoyed at times at sentences passed on them. In last nights local paper an off duty policeman was caught doing 105 mph in a 60 zone on one of the UKs most dangerous roads.(A65 Settle by-pass) He was fined £250, £45 costs and six points. Am i wrong, i thought those speeds were an automatic ban.

Barry.

Face it Enforcer, would you nick a person you work with on a daily basis if you caught them doing 40 in a 30?

A friend of mine is in the force and he was booked for doing 47 in a 40 it was in his patch and he knew the guy who booked him, 5 points and a £250 fine, the judge said he should be making a better example, i think he would say he has a different rule to you, one where he gets a harsher penalty than you would

Am i wrong, i thought those speeds were an automatic ban.

nope neithers getting over 12 points ;)

So, a senior member of the Force who has championed tackling speeding can instruct his driver to break the law and get away scot free?

would you stick your head into a fire if someone asked you to?

Guest crwoodford

What about that Policeman who lost his job because he jumped in the car with a couple making love in a car park and made it a threesome!! :o

Speeding yes.. I agree anyone who gets caught driving dangerously should get a ticket, but losing your job over a sh@g is a bit much! :wub:

Just adding a bit of Zummerset to the thread.... oooooarhhhhhh :lol: :lol:

Nice weekend all....

You will be pleased to know I'm out of the Country for a week from Monday (Cyprus this time..) B)

Col (Taunton)

Sorry Knock-on but the bad feeling you have displayed in this thread (and previously I believe) just comes across as sour grapes to me. :huh:

Your inferences against the integrity of the modern police service are somewhat offensive, and I can assure you that police officers are not treated ANY differently, in fact as has been seen recently they are subject to a more intense scrutiny than other motorists. We are allowed an exemption from some elements of Road Traffic enforcement, such as speeding and red lights ..... that goes without saying.

Another police officer not exactly getting away with it

I have to handle all the Notices of Intended Prosecution which arise from Police Officers from my Division exceeding the speed limit. I'm not going to post statistics on here, but suffice to say one of my responsibilities is to examine in detail every single activation and subsequent claim for exemption. If an officer has no valid reason for being exempted do they have to pay the fine and take the points? Yes, my friend, they do. Doesn't make me the most popular person in the world but that's just tough. I'm not paid to do an easy job.

And I'm afraid to say that in my 18 years experience yes, I have booked police officers for speeding and arrested serving officers for drink-drive and other offences. There are always bad apples and they get dealt with. Could I have turned a blind eye? Of course I could, but then I would have no personal integrity which is why I and the vast majority of my colleagues would not.

Now stop equating your perception of the modern police service to 'The Shield' or 'Life on Mars'. Get over it and move on. <_<

Sorry Knock-on but the bad feeling you have displayed in this thread (and previously I believe) just comes across as sour grapes to me. :huh:

Your inferences against the integrity of the modern police service are somewhat offensive, and I can assure you that police officers are not treated ANY differently, in fact as has been seen recently they are subject to a more intense scrutiny than other motorists. We are allowed an exemption from some elements of Road Traffic enforcement, such as speeding and red lights ..... that goes without saying.

Another police officer not exactly getting away with it

I have to handle all the Notices of Intended Prosecution which arise from Police Officers from my Division exceeding the speed limit. I'm not going to post statistics on here, but suffice to say one of my responsibilities is to examine in detail every single activation and subsequent claim for exemption. If an officer has no valid reason for being exempted do they have to pay the fine and take the points? Yes, my friend, they do. Doesn't make me the most popular person in the world but that's just tough. I'm not paid to do an easy job.

And I'm afraid to say that in my 18 years experience yes, I have booked police officers for speeding and arrested serving officers for drink-drive and other offences. There are always bad apples and they get dealt with. Could I have turned a blind eye? Of course I could, but then I would have no personal integrity which is why I and the vast majority of my colleagues would not.

Now stop equating your perception of the modern police service to 'The Shield' or 'Life on Mars'. Get over it and move on. <_<

I had forgotten about this thread until your post in another one referring to it.

Please let me reply to your post to clear up any confusion.

Bad feeling? The fact that my views do not tally with your experiences does not mean I have bad feeling against the police. Far from it. As people have said, they do a difficult job and cope with situations that I don't think I could deal with.

I have a lot of respect for the force. For example, when we were discussing unlicensed, uninsured drivers and you mentioned the new powers the police have against the powers they had a few years ago, I actually did something about it. I DID take the time to make a FOI request and received the information that in the first trial (1st of August to 31st August, 2006) 158 cars were seized with only 50% being reclaimed. I also took the time to reply to the County force confirming that I had noticed far fewer boy racers of late and complimenting them on a great job.

That is not to say that I cannot express an opinion that is not positive. The current attitude and policy surrounding speeding is not adequate IMHO. I know that coppers on the street are not responsible for dictating policy but they are responsible for enforcing it. If there is sour grapes then it is because I regularly see police cars driving above the limits when they are not on a shout. Now, I drive above the limit when it's safe to do so but I run the risk of getting nicked. Then again, I'm not employed by the country to enforce these rules whereas a Police Officer is.

As for my attack on the integrity of the modern police force. That's a bit strong mate, isn't it? All I was saying was that these things go on. You are claiming that I in some way am attacking the integrity of the force which means you disagree that it happens.

Difference of opinion, that's all.

Please don't take it personally but accept it in the manner it was intended. As an opinion, offered on a discussion forum that I have developed by observing, reading and experiencing something that differs from your experience. I fully accept that nothing like this ever happens in Telford :)

You seem determined to make me out as some sort of police hater which I am not. I value your opinions and have learnt that your posts are informative and worth reading. I would be disappointed if you hold a few comments I have made to be in any way a personal attack on you, which they obviously were not.

ps. What are The Shield and Life on Mars?