Front Number Plate

Guest RichardCClose

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have rode bikes for years and went back to legal plates a long time ago as i got fed up with being pulled over ! warren

hi i am a sad person who basically sits and makes plates all day everyday

now the law regards to the plates are that it has to be of a specific reflective matirial with the manufactures name at bottom and of the correct spacing and font with bs number at bottom and then it has to be sandwitched with a road legal 3mm anti shatter cllear perspex

so regards to a sticky plate the only thing iligal would be the fact that it hasnt got the perspex

so regards to a sticky plate the only thing iligal would be the fact that it hasnt got the perspex

So it's still illegal then. :huh:

So, make a sticky plate out of reflective perspex and mould it to the contours of your nosecone, then all you have got to do is convince the officer/court that it is mounted near to vertical so as to be legible from 75 feet and you might get away with it. :)

Personally I have just used a proper number plate ;) (Life's too short)

Guest yosamite sam

i had the unfortunate MOT where my number plate did fail!!

it was metal and the two sides left and right were bent backwards to make it a bit less sharp?? - anyway the tester failed it because it was not straight!!! FFS!! he showed me the MOT book regarding plates and it said summink on the lines of ALL plates should be as near to verticle and straight as possible for recognition by the law enforcement persons.. all plates had to be the correct size and spacings and letter styles of course but a lot of people are getting around the small plate by removing it!! if you have a plate that is hard to find a spot for they simply take it off rather than modify it deliberately. from what i gather the penalties for not displaying a plate 'ooops it just fell off officer and i have it here behind the seat..' the penalties are less for that than deliberately making a plate illegal such as making it small..

there are lots of 7 type cars with that senario..

The offence and penalty are the same (fail to display vehicle registration mark).

Now if you alter you plate with the intention of changing its identity (putting black tape on a 'C' to make it a 'G' for example you could be staring down the barrel of a 2 year prison sentence!

Think your MOT inspector was a bit harsh, and I still don't believe number plates are an MOT check point but will happily stand corrected.

Guest salty_monk

I lost my plate on the Red one at Llandow in an 80mph spin (first time) & drove it round for ages with no plate, just the snapped parts in the passenger footwell as an attempt at a "get out of jail free".....

The black one has the proper plate mounted below the nosecone.

I think we are mostly lucky with hoods as they look like a stick on plate or no plate belongs there. To my mind the tiny small plates are like thumbing your nose at anyone who's interested, just screams look at me, I'm wrong. I'd go with no plate again before using one of them...

Dan :)

Guest Andy Rathbone

mine is mounted neatly at the bottom edge of the nose cone on a couple of little hinges to if you do hit anything it swings up. when parked the number plate is exactly vertical no matter what gradient of hill your parked on :D the rear one you have to be 75 feet away to read as its tucked under the bottom of the spare wheel :D