Brake/harness/fuel Pipes

Guest DROID

Hi Folks,

Just about to fit the fuel pipes, wiring harness and brake pipes routing them through the tunnel but, can anybody advise the correct spacing between each??

I want to attach all of them to the passengers tunnel side.

What is the correct distance between the securing p-clips??

Thanks Droid

P.S Has anybody fitted the type cycle wing bracket, if so please tell me how to do it!! :rolleyes:

I pitched mine about every 8" horizontally.

Remember to keep the wiring loom well away from the fuel pipes, 2" space vertically should be ok, some people tie wrap the loom to the fuel and brake lines and this is a no no for the SVA.

Kev

Guest cjbailey

It's a no-no for a very good reason. The current that is flowing through the wires, no matter how small produces an electromagnetic field. This can cause major problems with things like setting the fuel on fire :o . This is the same reason mobiles aren't allowed in petrol stations. The Electromagnetic emissions are picked up by metal surfaces and tend to create nice electrical charges. If they earth then it can cause anything from minor problems to things that can be rather life-threatening :blink: !

Chris.

Hi

I am doing this now as well....2x 8mm B&Q copper pipe that the top, brake pipe next and cables last...

I am more worried about a spark from the fuel sensor in the tank!!! have you looked at that! :( 12v on a type of carbon track surely that will give a spark :( not bloody e.m.f through a copper pipe which is a very good Faraday cage ;)

Dave

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Dave,

RE' the pipe lines

I've got the fuel and brake lines running down the passenger's side of the tunnel with the harness to the rear going through a flexible conduit suspended from the driver's side tunnel top tube.

Don't worry about the possibility of sparks from the fuel gauge sender in the tank.

Flammable materials have maximum and minimum concentrations in air between which an explosion can occur.

To allow fuel to burn there must be sufficient oxygen present.

In a fuel tank there is basically no oxygen present - therefore the sender track can produce a spark but nothing will happen.

Many cars have very simple electric fuel pumps mounted in the fuel tank, with exposed commutator brushes and they rely on the petrol for lubrication of the bearings

Where you will get a possible problem is, with the battery connected, if you lift the sender out above the tank and start moving the arm about, now the level of oxygen is greatly increased and a tiny spark could have an horrible result (K'boom).

HTH

Terry

Guest paul thompson

Hi Guys,

I used to work for a company that made brake and fuel lines and did a lot of the design for such things. Basically you can run wires "near to " fuel lines with no problems, but wiring should not be allowed to touch either fuel or brake lines. Brake fluid is much more flammable than petrol belive it or not because you do not need a spark for ignition to occurr. This will happen if the brake fluid comes into contact with a hot manifold for example. I have had experience of a vehicle apparently spontaneously combusting because it had flexible stainless braided hoses to isolate the ABS unit and the main starter cable went near the ABS unit, chaffed though and sent a whopping current though the brake lines, using the braiding as a heater elemnent, causing the PTFE top melt allowing the brake fluid to conatct the hot braiding wires and fire ensued. This was simulated to great effect in the lab. According to dexign guides from Ford, PAG, Volvo, VW Audi BMW etc, wires can be clipped to fuel and brake lines as long as the clip material is not conductive, there is no possibility for the wires to touch the metal (or plastic as some of the plastic fuel lines are conductive to avoid elctrostatic discharge, and if any one wants that explained its a whole other subject) then it's OK. I have run the wires to the rear on the same side as the brake and fuel lines, and clipped to in the same fixings as them but provided sufficent clipping that they will never touch and I'll be taking the system design specifications from Ford with me if they complain about at SVA.

Paul

Guest TerryBarry

I thought that you could find a message by it's number - but I can't see how

I'm sure that Mat can tell us - if it is not just a figment of my imagination.

The message was posted on 14 Aug in "Fittings & Bodywork"

The thread is "Fitting New Style Cycle Wing Brackets"

Terry