Alternator/fan Belt

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

This is a call out to those of you who have re-positioned your alternator.

I've just fitted my "Bedford Rascal" alternator to my engine above the steering shaft and below the manifiold and used the belt supplied by RH to initially position it, but of course the belt is too long. I know how to measure up to get the length for the new belt when it's under tension, but can anyone give me an idea as how much to add in order to allow for fitting of the belt over the pulleys.

I'd be grateful for any guidance.

Many thanks

Phil Slater

Guest Sean Timney

Hi Phil,

I've also slung my alternator between the steering shaft and 4 into 1 thanks to a mate who made up the bracket for me (thx G). I've used a 875mm belt if thats any help. It does sit very close to the steering shaft though :)

HTH

Sean.

With a scrap longer belt, cut it, then overlap the ends until it's the length you want, and cut the 'extra' piece off. you should now be left with a belt that is the correct length if the ends were glued together, Yes? Right take it off, and measure along the back of the 'V' in mm's. that's the lenght that you want, but remember they work in differences of 5mm. i.e. 875, 880, 885 etc.

Then a decent motor factors should be able to sort you out with the correct belt.

Guest Battery Bill

Phil

Just get an "Nearly right" measurement and if its not right go back and exchange it for another like we did. There was no problem with this so just guess a bit

You should have enough movement to get it over them, if you go for a 865mm then you will have to adjust the slack up.

You can always take the bolt out of the adjustment slot, just to get the belt on. Remember, it will only go slacker, not tighter!

Guest Phil Slater

Thanks for the help fellers.

I've got an "863", which I think is just about right. But a lot will depend upon how much it stretches combined with lateral engine movement (when it's eventually running , of course!!) it's close to the steering shaft. If that's a problem.I can probably go 5 possibly 10mm smaller. At least for now I can tension it and ensure I've got the pulleys lined up properly before doing the final welds on the mounting.

Thanks again

Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

Thanks Andy but I think that given the position of my mounting bracket 850 might be too small. I reckon I would need to use a screwdriver or similar to lever the belt over the pulley. When you say your belt is tight, how tight is tight ?

Phil Slater

Guest Andy Rathbone

how tight is tight? well ? i took of the adjuster bolt out and slid the alternator up till it touches the block almost, then put the belt on all pullies and most of the alternator one then rotate the pully till it pops on. you only need a lever or somthing if you havent had your weetabix and dont want to break a nail. it was quite easy. thats a proper quite easy not a haynes manual one, like their simply remove!!!!! yeh ok

I've done this today and used an 863 belt. Not too much concern as I have about an inch clearance to the steering shaft and an inch to the manifold. I cant see it moving this much when running.

I couldnt get the 850 belt over the pulleys (though I probably could have removed bits and levered it on!). The 875 went on too easily, so I swapped again for the 863 which I figured was a fair comprimise. :)

D

Guest Phil Slater

I've got about the same clearances as you before any stretch. I'm slighly concerned about the closeness to the manifold and whether the heat will negatively affect the alternator, although I have got insulated exhaust wrap to put on the manifold. However with no real experience as to how effectively this keeps the temperature down I'm now kind of hoping it will all be OK!!!!!!!

Phil Slater

I had this dilema- I ended up fitting the belt to all the pulleys, then finshed securing the alternator onto the mounting bracket.

The belt was bloody tight even without the tensioner connected - had to do it this way as i only had an inch of free alternator movement between the steering shaft and the manifold.

I think when i finsh the rebuild (yeh right) i will swing it down and see how i get on with the alternator the opposite way round.

Nothing is ever easy is it!!

Stu :rolleyes: