Oh Boy Have I Made A Mistake

Guest Phil in Cheshire

Guest Phil in Cheshire

Hi all

Could sombody please encorage me with a tale of a purchase worse than mine. In the past i have restored a few classic sports cars stags, tr5a's, and a few others. I always fancied building a kit, so looked around and thought a hood would be ideal. What i cant understand is why i bought the one i did. It was first purchased by a guy in Manchester in October 97, was never finished and had been stored in a leaking garage untouched for at least 3 years. I bought it in may this year as a 50th birthday present for myself, most of the first month was spent taking it to bits. Thats when the depresion started to set in the only thing i didnt find holding it togeter was blu tac. The rebuild has now started and another doner sierra had to be bought, the rear end is now ir easonable order and this week i hope to compleat the front suspension. Anythink to make me smile would be greatly appreciated.

Phil,

I bought a part built 3a from a guy in Liverpool, so far I have had to redo everything ,that was socalled ........done,the car when i bought it was still covered

in the white film,but because it had remained on the car since it left the factory...in 1997!!!!

it had hardened,I had to scrape the stuff off in bits no larger than postage stamps,

Lumps had been cut out of the stainless panels infill panels which should'nt,the rear suspension was rusty and covered in cack etc etc,all a toatl nightmare,as I've probably spent twice as long to get sofar just putting right what had gone before,

but never mind I take the view that the project is an even bigger challenge therefore more fun(tongue-in-cheek).

Cheers Ian

Jim

I live in Crawley West Sussex,

I took a car trailer to Liverpool ,to collect the beast.

Anyways I'm quite philisophical about the 3a I bought,quite a few bits done

notsowell

I paid £1400 for the lot,no major extras to buy apart from tyres

So all in all you have to take the rough with the smooth,

My 3A will probaly cost no more than 2 grand to put on the road

Cheers Ian

SO you've only had it 6 months and now your getting worried? Check out http://projectx.rhocar.org - I've had mine since Jun last year, and all I seem to of achieved is removing and replacing the rear end!!! You have NOTHING to worry about yet believe me. Once you get the front suspension on, you can dump the engine in then your well on your way!!

Guest Andy Rathbone

JUNE LAST YEAR, must be a rush job you ought to slow down a bit! i'm still building my 2B from May wait for it 2000 yep ive had it over 3 years and its still not on the road, just remember quality takes time!!(thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it). building is only part of the fun the other chunk of fun is driving it. so i'm told :D

Guest Phil in Cheshire

:p Hi all

Thanks for the replies, especialy the one about warming the plastic film to remove it. Its all off now even those little tiny bits at the edges.

I know 6 months dont seem long but i recon i have spent over 350 hours on it so far and havent got anywere near burning myself on a hot exaust. at the moment i am putting in more hours than ever cant wait to drive it into and out of the garage.

Thanks again please keep them coming.

Regards Phil