Twin 40's

Guest C7SVN

Guest C7SVN

If I get stuck in traffic for 15 mins my car cuts out. It pops and bangs and then dies. I know it's not the fuel pump as I can hear it ticking away. It's not the ignition. Could it be that the carb bodies are getting hot when there is no forced air flowing into the nose cone? Any body shed any light on it?

Cheers

Neil :(

Yeah; lookout. If the carbs get too hot the fuel vaporises before being squirted out of the jets and you get the wrong amount (too lean I think). Next time it happens try wrapping a towel soaked in cold water around the carb body; if that cures it (temorarily) then you have the answer. I think you're supposed to have a spacer between the carb and manifold which acts as an insulator - is it fitted to your setup?

Guest boggie

I had exactly this problem and like you I realised the problem was heat. My solution was to get some insulating exhaust wrap around the manifold, move the fuel pump and filter into the boot - problem seems to have gone away.

Hope this helps