Air Powered Pop Riveter

Guest gavinc

Guest chris brown

If you can run a hacksaw then you will be able to run any of the pop riveters just go for one that will suit you remembering some are rather bulky (air charge tank) so are difficult to get into tight corners

Guest 2Bornot2B

I bought a Clarke one a couple of years ago, they sell them at Machine Mart, it'd been great. If you take off the plastic bit that catches the used rivet stems, it fits in most places.

Most cheap air riveters aren't rated to handle stainless rivets. I had been having problems with the hand ones (culminating is a trip to hospital with a suspected fractured finger). I think the jaws that grip the mandrel were too soft for stainless rivets because they stopped gripping properly.

Aware of this potential issue I looked carefully for an air riveter. The cheapest one I could find that was rated for stainless rivets (up to 4.8mm) was a Sealey SA312. I managed to find an ex demo one on ebay for £40 which was a great deal as the RRP is £120. Its a great tool, it makes riveting very easy and a *lot* of fun. I love the sound it makes: BANG, woosh.

I have a 3HP compressor with a 25 litre tank. I can put in a lot of rivets off a full tank.

Guest ScotMac

Most the air riveters i have seen have pretty much exactly the same design. The main thing is to get one large /strong enough to handle the rivets you'll be using. Either aluminum or SS, and the size. For example, us l/w'ers must have one that handle atleast up to 1/4" (the first one you listed only handles to 3/16"). In fact, i initially bought one like that for my l/w, and forced it to rivet the larger rivets. It somewhat worked...i only had to take it apart three times to get stray mandrels out of it. ;-) Now have a substantially larger one that i'm using to rivet even larger rivets, and it has yet to have a problem.

-Scot :)