Can't Fill The Tank

Joel

I can't seem to get more than 10 to 12 litres of fuel in my petrol tank at a time (RHE 40 litre tank).

I thought it was just me being a muppet, but I reckon it's more likely something to do with not having a breather hose in the tank. Could it be that once the fuel level reaches the filler neck inside the tank, then there's no way for the air to escape as the fuel goes in - next thing you know you've got wet feet?

So what's the solution? There must be other people who used the RHE filler neck, or was this problem glaringly obvious to everyone else from the start?

I knew I shouldn't have fixed the boot permanently. :huh:

Joel,

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Without a breather fuel will only fill to the bottom of the filler neck.

As I didn't have a breather I marked the filler neck where it meets the seal and allowing for the thickness of the seal drilled some holes in the filler neck so they are just bellow the seal. This allows the air to escape from the top of the tank enabling the tank to be filled to the top.

Les

Guest andymids

Joel, Les,

You are right - I drilled some holes in the filler to start with - only to get lots of 'clicks' from petrol pumps. I went the whole hog and used the small sierra breather pipe cut down to do the full job. Tank fills fast and right up to the top now!

Andy.

Joel

Only yesterday I decided to cut the excess off my filler tube, I thought it was the sender that needed tweeking as the gauge would only show about 3/4 full after filling up.

The tube now protrudes into the tank only to the bottom of the sealing ring. Have yet to go for petrol, but it should gain me about 50mm in my 25L tank

Cheers Simon

• 4 weeks later...
Guest John Hammond

Glad I read this - now I know why it takes me 5 minutes to fill the tank up. Can someone tell me what kind of sealant to use on my filler neck, and where to get it? All my attempts so far have achieved is to demonstrate that petrol is a really good solvent after all!

Guest timswait

Anything epoxy or polyester resin based should work. As a rule if it comes in two separate tubes and needs mixing it should be OK. I've used araldite, isopon body filler and plumber's mait putty, all with vaying degrees of success, the plumber's mait seemed to be the best but you have to work fast as it goes off damn quick. If in doubt just leave a chunk of it in a tin of petrol overnight and if it softens it's not up to the job.