Donor Loom

Guest Stephen Robertson

Guest Stephen Robertson

Hi guys

I have just started my build and am currently striping down the donor (G reg 2.0GL, 205 block, weber carb), I have the VG loom in my kit . My question to you guys is where do I cut the donor loom to remove the engine bay sub loom (type C ignition ?)

Cheers Stephen.

Stephen

You should'nt need to cut it..

their should be 2 plug connectors 1xblack&white with 9 wires going

into it ,and 1x brown with 6 thicker wires going into it.

These feed the ignition/carb/ignition control unit/temp&oil senders

The only other wires associated with the engine are the battery/starter motor.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers Ian

Hi Stephen,

After days of careful tugging, squeezing labelling and swearing, I finally got my loom out today. The connectors Ian mentioned are somewhere behind the passenger side dashboard. You may have to cut a couple of other wires though - the supplies to the heated front screen are in both bottom corners of the screen (one brown, one violet/black each side). They're more obvious if you remove the wipers and then the plastic trim piece across the bottom of the screen.

The wiring on the driver's side should all pull through the firewall back into the footwell once disconnected (label it, label it again and then label the labels!). The only other problem I had is that the wiring left in the engine bay on the LHS isn't removeable until part of the brake system has been (re)moved - though I admit I haven't tried very hard yet!

The fun starts when you pull the entire loom up through the hole below the fuse box. Having said that, it's just occured to me that you might be able to twist the box and pass it down through the hole sideways. Damn! Why didn't I think of that earlier?

nelly