Removing Petrol Stuff, And Brakes.

Guest nelly

Hi,

I've got to the stage in stripping my donor where I need to remove the petrol tank (which is currently half full) and all the associated pipes, carb, pump etc., and also the entire brake system. I have the Haynes manual and will follow the tips in there but wondered if any of you seasoned pros had any tips.

Cheers

nelly

not sure about safety but i dropped brake fluid on floor with hose pipe running on drive as theres only alittle bit in the car and petrol i cut the bottom hose close to the tank and collected in via funnel in a red petrol can ps dont drop petrol on tar mac as it dissolves it and wear gogles. i didnt like this part of the strip but once its over on to recon i guess...

please accept this is only how i did it. i took as much care as i could and took things slowly as i didnt want to poison/ kebab self or anyone close by

take care

Obvious safety precautions, no smoking, keep kids away, well ventilated etc. etc. drain off petrol, even if it's dirty, it will be OK for cleaning the engine etc, later. Be aware that brake fluid is one of the best paint strippers know, don't get it anywhere near anything that is painted, ie, your best Eurobox, any cloths used for wiping hands, wiping up, must be dumped, don't use them for anything else.

Nelly

1/2 a tank :huh: thats a lot. I would siphon it out into a proper petrol can and transfer it, gallon by gallon, to another car because you have a lot of petrol there.

No smoking, grinding etc... :(

Brake fluid as Jim says is corrosive to paint! I add it to old engine oil and take to council dump for reprocessing.

Don't get either in your eyes...petrol stings like, err, petrol. Don't know about brake fluid but it won't be nice.

Dave

Cheers guys,

Looks like it's time to develop a taste for petrol. (I think the amount of fuel left will keep my little Fiat going for weeks).

If you hear of a dreadful fire in Hailsham you'll know I've started. :(

nelly

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nippykev

Hi all

The following is true.

I know a scrap man through my work and have watched his men getting a car ready to be crushed. They lifted the car up in the air, one man held an open container under the petrol tank while his mate swung a pick axe punching several holes into the tank. the guy with the container caught the several gallons or petrol as it flooded out.

I was next to the car when this started but was outside the yard before it was finnished.

Kevin

2b may 2003

Guest Bernie

To clear the master cylinder and brake lines I used an eazibleed kit to blow out the lines through each bleed nipple. It was quite effective in that all that was left of brake fluid were a few small drips out of the front calipers.

If it's a carb engine then all but about half a gallon can be syphoned out into a petrol can by disconnecting the pipe from the mechanical petrol pump inlet and jacking up the back end of the car as high as you can.