Pinto Head Advice

Hi All

Well the summer days are nearly upon us and it s time I got my engine up to scratch.

Had lots of advice on other posts so thanks for all that help, but one more piece needed to make my mind up.

Ok currently have a 2L standard pinto installed. Plan to change to zetec during next winter (would do it this year but i think if i want to get it on the road for April this is too ambitious!)

Looking to get my cylinder head sorted to get a bit more power. This is where you guys come in.

Spoke to Jondel Racing in Northants who have quoted roughly the below

Porting and Polishing £350

Match twin 40 manifold to head £50

Lead free valves £80

Skimming £40

All exc vat

So on top of all this i still need vernier pulley @ £50, my twin 40's (withy a view to use on zetec later) @£200 ish, and a decent cam @£150 ish.

So £520 ex vat for head work. Then £350 ish without twin 40's.

So my question is why not settle for one of these, that look a simular spec???

Complete head, just twin 40's needed i think

Bit more needed, but beats the £520+vat quoted for own head work

Not sure about this one..........any thoughts?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Simon

Guest Stevieshood

Vulcan Engineering are well respected for their work on older Ford engines and bhp/£ it is good value for money. If it comes with the cam, hopefully they will have set up the valvetrain geometry correctly - which is a bonus!

With the twin 40s, a 2D mapped ignition system will be of great benefit to getting the best out of it.

Go for it ;) B)

Guest Kieran

You should get Vizards book (or similar) and take a weekend or so to modify the head yourself. Ok, the gains may not be as big as a pro, but you'd save stacks of cash for the big Engine change!!

Kieran

Cheers guys!

Stevieshood, will give vulcan a call tomorrow to see how much they charge.

Turbo, does seemlike a waste of cash, but i really do need some more power for the summer. Hoping to be able to sell the engine after for nearly what i paid which will ensure little cash wasted. If i could do the Zetec in the next couple of months then i would but it all seems like a lot of work!!

Kieran, would like to do it myself but i'm sure i would cock it up!! Although does anybody have a pdf or something of vizards??

Anymore advice/help very welcome.

Guest Takumi

try some DIY, grab an ALDi grinder with flexi shaft for £15 and some carbide burrs off ebay for a few £

should be able to make a good effort in a weekend.! worst bits are the valve throats 1/2" up from the valve, feels like razor edges..smoother these to a nice radius..if your planning on a zetec next year, smooth the valve guides down flush with the port..as demonstrated by Vizard ni his book.

Start simple as they are the best result for the time spent. You can probably get a 10% increase

The valves themselves are quite sharp around the seat angles, give the edges a less harsh radius with a sanding block with the valve in a pillar drill.. must be worth some flow..