Moving Of Handbrake

Guest mastarforth

Guest mastarforth

Hi Everyone

I am looking for suggestions on what to do with the hand brake for my retest.

As some of you may have read in a different post, one of my fail points was my examiner could not reach my hand brake when strapped into the Cobra seats I am using. I know several people have moved the hand brake to tunnel top, but I do not want to have to do this unless I really have to as it means ripping my interior out again to resolve. I have seen some solutions where they mount them into the side of the tunnel, using a RX7 type hand brake.

As I see it, I have two choices, get the seats to move an inch forward, which the examiners short arms should reach it (dont mean to sound nasty, but I have built the car around my 6' 2" frame, and I have no problems). Only problem is the shape of the tunnel at present restricts the movement of the runner to move forward.

or

I use an angle section bolted to the floor inside the vehicle, straightening the lips used to secure the hand brake to the chassis so they can be bolted to the bar. This should allow me to raise the hand brake by 25 mm or so achieving the same result, but that may mean I need to extend the arm under the vehicle for the cable.

Has anybody tried this solution or anbody got any easier suggestions?

Thanks

Andrew

Guest peter2b2002

moving to the tunnel top is quite easy but you will have to take the tank out to mount the angle iron and acess the d shaped bit the cable goes arround , other wise some people have cut and shut the brake handle to raise it, try the north hoodies site for more info

pete2b

Guest Mike Perry

Andrew

Like you we did not want to have the handbrake lever on the tunnel top; so we utilised the designed position, but raised the lever up.

The picture says it all I hope.

Note the cable running around a pulley under the floor. The pulley was sourced from my boat, but I could find the details if you want.

I'll post a picture when I figure out how to do it!

post-48-1177676301_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Perry

My handbrake is still mounted in the passenger side as designed. I just modified the bottom of the lever so the handle is up high and accessible.

www.gbowdem.co.uk -- modifications .

probably the worst part was the weld extending the operating arm so it was out under the car again.

Can take more pics if you want.

Graham

post-971-1177675143_thumb.jpg

post-971-1177675385_thumb.jpg

Guest mark kingston

i added an angle spacer just under the front handbrake mount of about 1 1/4 " which rotated it back towards the driver easily and satisfied my SVA examiner on my re test. it also meant i did not have to alter anything below the car but just readjust the cable tension.

i have since left the handbrake like this as it is easier to reach and has given no trouble in the six years that my 2b has been on the road.

regards

mark Kingston

Mine also failed first time for the same reason.

I wanted a quick fix and one that did not involve moving the position of the hand break and all the associated cables.

You might want to consider my fix.

Remove handbreak fro car.

Cut partway through handbreak at point where the handle part starts to widen out.

Bend the handbreak through circa 30 degrees. This also bends the release rod to the handbreak button so you need to jiggle about and bend the release rod so that it continues to work in this new position.

Put back into car and see if you can now reach.

If you can you then need to insert a section of strenghening plate between the two cut exposed ends and then weld this into place (making sure you dont weld up the release rod as well.

End result is that it is as string if not stronger than original, dont need to bother with making up brackets on floor to change angle and the mod only takes 30 mins at most.

My sva man had a quick look a good hard pull and waqs more than happy when went in for retest.