Stainless Steel Welds

Guest nomis

Solvol Autosol can be bought from most motorcycle accesory shops. for cleaning up ally or stainless it is the best, but takes a good amount of 'elbow grease' if you intend to use it on chrome, be aware that prolonged use will remove the chrome plate, although if you can't get it clean with anything else, you may do with solvo autosol.

DaveG, my comments about the 2B roll bar was meant that the only way to get one of those off to chrome it, would be with an angle grinder.

Guest Battery Bill

Joeys favourite stuff at the moment "Solvol" he is scrubbing away at everything with it (Whilst I do the wiring, yes Jim I'm still at it) Last night he polished up the coil with it, what will he do next?

Jim how did you clean all the "Dog S*^te" off your roll bar then? :D

All

As Jim says...and others...the polish I use with wire-wool is Solvol Autosol...

Its not like T-cut its a polish, and a damn good one ;) If you just want to polish use a cloth...if the surface is pitted or scratched use wire-wool for extra ooomph :lol:

Dave

I don't know Billy boy, it's no wonder planes keep crashing, :p you're at the wrong end of the car mate, it was the track rod, not the roll bar :rolleyes:

mind you, it's taking you that long to put that wiring in, you'll have forgotten what all the metal bits are for! :p :D ;)

Jim how did you clean all the "Dog S*^te" off

I could always use a forgetful little teenager, seeing that he's waiting for Dad to black to black, and red to red!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Guest Cantbearsed

:rolleyes: Dave, I too fabricate things from stainless (small run catch guttering for leaky machinery) and use small quantities of Pickling Paste all the time with NO ILL EFFECTS. How's that? you ask.....

We read and follow the instructions on the "packet" and wear good quality rubber gloves. Something I would assume everyone who reads the label would do.

We even have COSHH sheets for Pickling Paste, so it's use and potential for damage is quite closely restricted.

Stop scare-mongering and credit adults with a little bit of common sense. Health & Safety in the workplace (even at home) is paramount but you old boys sometimes lose the plot with it and go overboard with the belt & braces approach.

Use pickling paste if you want but BE CAREFUL.

Nuff said.

I hear what you say Dale, and if people take heed of the precautions, everything should be OK, but the trouble with doing things 'at home' or as an 'ameteur' you don't tend to have the full protective stuff, and that leads to short cuts being made. So I agree with Mick, leave it well alone, you can do the job just as good without it.

I think that you'll find that there are more accidents with 'ameteur' work, ie. DIY etc. than in industry

Guest Cantbearsed

:p In reply to the polishing dilemma, try either Autosol in a tube from your local motor parts supplier (about £1.50 per 200g tube) or contact a company called Cetem Polishing Supplies.

Cetem Polishing Supplies

Foxhills Ind. Est.

S*bleep*horpe

N.Lincs.

DN15 8QJ

Tel: 01724 281305

Fax: 01724 280999

web: www.cetempolishing.com

email: picadoreng@aol.com

If they don't supply it, it don't exist!

I've bought from them at auto shows at NEC and Beaulieu so they get everywhere. And they do mail order so no excuses. Get the catalogue and leave hints for Christmas.....