Firewall

Guest macca

Guest macca

Hi all

Does the fire wall need to be completely sealed up to the scuttle?

At the minute there are gaps either side where the scuttle curves from the top, and down to the main body.

Is this gap ok for SVA?

Macca

Mine passed at Nottingham without the firewall touching the bonnet, I had put a sealing rubber from the seirra boot along the top but it still only touched along the centre.

Macca

Not relevant for SVA, and mine is still unsealed. I think if you regularly used a full hood this would be an issue to resolve, but since I am always 'al fresco' in the hood I haven't bothered with mine. You do get a waft of petrol and oil smells from time to time, but personally I like that!

What I did do was add a piece of stainless to the centre of the firewall that sits about 2" higher, and takes the weight of the bonnet at this point. It provides a bit of extra support and prevents the bonnet sagging in the middle. Will try to find a pic later

Guest macca
Macca

Not relevant for SVA, and mine is still unsealed. I think if you regularly used a full hood this would be an issue to resolve, but since I am always 'al fresco' in the hood I haven't bothered with mine. You do get a waft of petrol and oil smells from time to time, but personally I like that!

What I did do was add a piece of stainless to the centre of the firewall that sits about 2" higher, and takes the weight of the bonnet at this point. It provides a bit of extra support and prevents the bonnet sagging in the middle. Will try to find a pic later

Thanks all

I have a fixed scuttle, and its sealed all along the top, where the firewall meets the leading edge of the scuttle.

Its the gaps at the sides, ill leave them if they wont cause a problem.

Macca

Guest tom2b

I completely sealed mine last year, really keeps the engine bay heat out. Just changed to twin carbs so i had to fit new cables which has left a small hole, suprising how much hot air blows through.

Guest salty_monk

I used to take the rubber strip off my old one in Winter before I fitted the heater... get some heat through!! :lol:

You prob wouldn't want to do it if you had a well sealed hood.

Dan :)

Guest timswait

I don't know what the SVA regs are, but it's a bit more obvious that it doesn't seal if it's a fixed scuttle rather than the gator bonnet, probably worth doing anyway, it does keep smells and heat out of the cockpit if it's properly sealed.

I have a fixed scuttle and the firewall is sealed. When upgraditis kicks in for me :D , I'm considering installing some sort of controllable vent. I'll have to wait and see though as to what I feel I'd like during normal day to day running. On the engine side, my idea is to feed it via some sort of tubing from near the front of the car and in the cockpit side, passing it through the heater.

Yeah right! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if anyone's done anything like this before, or even if it's necessary. :unknw: