Taller Windscreen

nicko

Hi all,

I'm having a taller than standard windscreen cut next week, in laminated glass, for a good price. I'll post on here how good it is after fitting.

My question is, how much taller can I go? Bearing in mind I'm fitting the standard weather gear.

I've cut out a standard template, and one 65mm taller. The taller one will fit the frame, but I'm concerned about wether the doors will fit ok.

Nick

Guest salty_monk

There is some overlap at the bottom of the standard "doors". You'll probably be ok with a couple of inches from memory. If you want more then you can always add something to the bottom of them or even make up some new ones.

Dan :)

I would give some consideration to the potential increased resistance this will bring with it - not from a speed-reducing perspective, but in terms of the safety of the screen.

Most of our screens are held on with three tiny screws on each side which barely penetrate the aluminium frame. Any increase on the height of the screen in going to significantly increase the sheering force against these. Are you planning to replace the windscreen support brackets with longer ones?

:unsure:

Not thought of that one Enforcer. I may now put 4 screws in each side as an extra precaution.

Can anyone with standard screen and doors, measure the distance, from the bottom of the door, to the top of the side panel??

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Guest Tim Norman

My screen is held in with countersunk M6 machine screws. The heads had flats ground so they would fit into the channel from the inside. works a treat. I would never trust a screen held in with a few little screws. :80:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, my taller screen is fitted (as some may have seen at Newark). The only thing that is a problem is the height of the doors (they're now too short!!)

I would advise anyone else to only go 50mm taller as a maximum if you are going to use the standard weather gear.

post-1235-1183071489_thumb.jpg

Guest allenr03
My screen is held in with countersunk M6 machine screws. The heads had flats ground so they would fit into the channel from the inside. works a treat. I would never trust a screen held in with a few little screws. :80:

I used the black adhesive stuff that RH suppied in the kit to reinforce the little screws. I ran a heavy bead in the gap behind the windscreen and the side pillars. The adhesive seems to be very strong in other applications elsewhere on the car and the bead that is built up behind the frame gives me a bit more confidence since it helps distribute the force more evenly.

If it falls off when I'm driving at high speed (obviously within the national speed limit) I'll let you know, and if I can't let you know I'll make sure my other half does, and if she was in the car and can't do it I'll get another beneficiary of my will to let you know!!

Rich

Andy, I just used the surround supplied, but I'd not built the screen up previously so I just guessed how much I could get away with. Like I said earlier 50mm bigger would have made construction etc. easier.

Nick