How Fast Should A 1.6 Be?

agent_zed

Hi ,

ive got a standard 1.6 pinto with vv weber carbs how fast, theoretically, should my car be? at the moment i think my timing is out as iam finding it difficult up hills and its not that easy to get to 70mph.

I realise its an old heavy engine but surely in a car as small as this it should be pretty quick? anybody have 0-60 times for a standard 1.6 as a rough guide?. I read that the original seirra did 107mph top speed so surely it should be easier to reach higher speeds with less weight than the ford.

thanks

Guest allenr03

I reckon you'll get about 100mph and 0-60 in about 7 seconds, maybe a little more. They aren't as aerodynamic as a Sierra even though they are lighter, this has a dramatic effect on the top speed but you should get more than 70mph!!

My car is a 2L, 135bhp and runs 0-60 in about 6 seconds, haven't had it over a ton yet though, I lose the ability to see at that speed, lol.

Rich

I reckon you'll get about 100mph and 0-60 in about 7 seconds, maybe a little more. They aren't as aerodynamic as a Sierra even though they are lighter, this has a dramatic effect on the top speed but you should get more than 70mph!!

My car is a 2L, 135bhp and runs 0-60 in about 6 seconds, haven't had it over a ton yet though, I lose the ability to see at that speed, lol.

Rich

hi, thats kinda what i was thinking. Top speed is not a prob for me as i prefer acceleration to top speed and as you say i imagine its pretty windy at higher speeds. I think its time to get my engine tuned properly.

As for loosing the ability to see i find returning from the sva test in a very heavy rain storm with no roof has a similar effect on vision :D albeit a little wetter. i also learnt that windscreen wipers don't work on the inside of the windscreen :rolleyes:

thanks for the info.