Mazda Mx5 - What Do You Know About Them?

Guest salty_monk

Guest ScotMac

Spec Miata (SM) racing is *by far* the fastest growing racing class in the US. A turn worker that i worked w/ at my first race (novice racers have to work turns before they can get their license) calls them "angry chick cars!" ;)

I watched the SM race as SIR (Seattle International Raceway/PacificRaceways). Looks like great fun. They have about 20-30 cars for every race, and w/ some amazingly close racing (as you would expect from a spec series). They have also gained the reputation as being crazy. So many new racers and so close of racing results in a lot of "incidents". Almost every lap sees at least one of them off into the dirt around turn 8 at SIR (turn before the straight). No actual contact occurred in the race, but alot of "off-and-ons".

Nice thing about SCCA racing and SM's is that you can also get into it very cheaply. I have seen at 2 or 3 SM racers driving their cars to the race every weekend. ie, no tow vehicle or trailer needed, and you can use the car for weekend trips also if you want.

I know, you weren't looking to get a SM "racer", just a weekend car, but you know that you want to! ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest foolhandy

I've had a '96 Merlot for nearly three years now and use it as my daily driver.

I love it. Reliable, practical for a two seater, and most importantly a hoot to drive. Makes me smile every time...and it's great on a track too. Not that fast but you make up a lot through the bends.

The hood has needed replacing and the sills repairing but other than that it's not missed a beat. It leaks a bit in heavy rain (the only time it's more than a slight drip is under the pressure hose) but it's a soft top so it's what I expect. I changed the belt myself at about 70000 miles. Tyres do make a massive difference - ot was so much better when I put eagle F1s on.

Some time in the next six months or so it's going to become my 'practical car' as I hopefully become a Robin Hood owner - I'd toyed with the idea of selling her and getting a closed car to go alongside the Robin Hood, but each time I drove her I hated the thought of letting go. I may well own that MX-5 for a long time... :D

Guest STEVE OXON

i have an 1800 mx5 bought last november to ''compliment'' the 2b.its a much more practical car than the hood.

can be a real hoot to drive when the roads are clear.but good just for commuting in.

.......sit there in traffic ,roof down , you can feel the white shirts in tin tops eyes on you,

probably saying wa**er or hairdresser....... but hey,who cares ,they are only a little green.

great cars.

steve.

p.s my wife will only come out in mx now ,after getting a real good soaking in the hood!!!!!!!

Guest salty_monk
Go on you know you want to! I'll even give you the price of a hire car for a week or so! Just so I can hack it round the grand caynon! That will pay for new rear tyres so the handling is ok and I don't go off the edge! I'll even pratice driving left hooker before I come out!

Go on you know it makes sense hairdresser boy. It will help my cause of getting the misses to buy one of them instead of an cough MGF cough :80:

You only have 2 and a half months ish.

Drew

P.s Going to look round for rear shocks for you car as they are fecked! Then I will unbury it from the garage.

When I bought some before for the red one they were pretty cheap from SC's.... If you're under there you should shove those spring assistors in & tell Donut boy to lay off them, then the shocks wouldn't be shot!! :lol:

They seemed ok last time I saw it, are they leaking or summat?

Not bought a 2nd motor yet.... maybe soon :)