New Driver. Where To Start? :s

Guest Oni-Kage

Guest motivforz

i know a fair bit of what you are going through, as i was investigating this not long ago

adrian flux was my first point of call because it kept popping up everywhere, and like you i got a quote of in the region of 2k for the insurance (3rd party only)

i then tried footman james at stoneleigh, and got full comp for £800, or 3rd party for £500

this is with the 2l 2B, and i am 18, no NCD, 1 year on the road, no1 else insured

after you pass you test, it doesnt matter who you add to the insurance, it still increases the cost

whilst you are on provisional tho addin more people makes it much cheaper

hope iv been of help

chris

Guest Oni-Kage

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Good to find so many helpful people lol. EddieH, u said u got insured at 20 for £500, but was that with like say a few years driving under ure belt or was it straight after passing ure test?

I passed my test just before I turned 18 so I did have a couple of years driving a Morris Minor before insuring the Hood. However, I wasn't a named driver on the MM policy and had no NCB. Dan's suggestion of doing the pass plus should get you a lower quote - it's something I thought I should do but never quite found the time!

Guest Oni-Kage

Well I tried another online quote with Adrian Flux with a 1.6 Pinto and it was actually cheaper ha ha ha. Goes to show ya lol. I'm gonna ring em a little later on to see what they have to say (Knowing my luck they'll be like oh now it's £2,376.14 or something ridiculous!). I'll let everyone know what it comes to. Thanks for all the help :)

Aaron.

Well I tried another online quote with Adrian Flux with a 1.6 Pinto and it was actually cheaper ha ha ha. Goes to show ya lol. I'm gonna ring em a little later on to see what they have to say (Knowing my luck they'll be like oh now it's £2,376.14 or something ridiculous!). I'll let everyone know what it comes to. Thanks for all the help :)

Aaron.

what about as soon as youve passed take the max driver course, its 200 quid for intensive course and flux will give you 25% off your quote, i belive its the iam course developed for young drivers. thats what im planning to do

The smallest engine that will fit the type 9 box ( as far as i am aware) is the 1100 crossflow, Racer had one in his Locost, nippy and fun with all the handling you could want.

Added bonus is that you will build up your driving skills without going to fast to quickly and may even avoid following the Corsa's over the roundabouts every Saturday night.

As you enjoy the cars handling more you can increase the performance knowing that the chassis and brakes can handle it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Oni-Kage

Something else I'm wondering... Since now I plan on getting a 1.6 pinto, what sort of performance figures APPROXIMATELY am I looking at say 0-60 etc? Doesn't have to be exact or anything, just a ball park figure as I'm curious and frightened ha ha ha. Can see me sitting in it for the first time, wheels screeching and me through someones front garden, into their living room lol.

All ways difficult to estimate as weight is a big factor but if do some big presumsions then......

1600 pinto standard will probably struggle to make 80bhp.....

2b with a pinto plus you, spare wheel, full tank etc could weigh 850kg ( still half the weight of a Sierra).

So 9 seconds 0-60 with a top speed of 100

2.0L 8 seconds 0-60 and 110-115

depends on the diff, i have assumed the common 3.6

And don't forget the published figures from the manufacturers of standard saloon cars are not achievable on the road and are usualy off by a second or so.

Not many road cars achieve 7 second 0-60 but a Hood with a tuned pinto, cam, carbs and four branch should.

You can get a bell-housing to bolt an A-Series engine to a Sierra type-9 box so in theory you could put an 803cc engine in a Hood with relatively little effort.

The reason you're quote for a 1.6 engined Hood was cheaper is likely down to the way insurers work. If a car is common they reckon it'll be cheaper to get bits for it if it is damaged an hence the costs to them will be less and the risk is less.

Iain

Guest Oni-Kage

Yeah thats the conclusion I came to. Thanks for the info. Still find it strange that insurance companies wont touch me for a normal 1.6 engined car, yet they will if it's in something that weighs hardly anything in comparisson lol. Madness! lol.