Points To Look On A Super Spec

Guest craig030774

Guest craig030774

had a phone call from a bloke at works friend who is building a super spec he is going for sva at beverley at the end of the month and was asking a few questions so it being a nice day went over to see him

not a bad build at all but noted a few edges that needed trimming and was not sure on the twin exhaust pipes no rolled edge on

also oil filter is very low

how have you guys overcome these and are there any other areas to look for on sva.

took him out in mine and he muttered something like oh my god i need the toilet :D :D

needless to say it gave him the will to carry on.

anybody live near to donna nook bombing range

cheers

craig

My oil filter passed SVA with no problems. The exhaust tail pipes need some form of trim to give a rolled edge or they will fail. The front edge of the exhaust cover also needs a trim over it. Mine got through with the plastic one supplied but I think that some have failed because they will melt. The biggest problem most people are having is the lambda reading being too high (assuming that you have the Rover engine). There are all sorts of tips to solve this that have been posted over the past couple of years. I was lucky, mine got through with the supplied parts but I spent a lot of time making sure there were no air leaks and that the lambda was properly earthed.

Guest allenr03

Oil filter won't be an SVA issue but it will "fall off" and I would recommend installing a remote filter.

The exhaust pipes weren't an issue for me but I know they have been for others and it might be worth fitting aftermarket chrome exhaust trims.

The screws that hold the indicator lenses on on both the front and repeaters willfail and need silicone.

Make sure the bonnet edge trim covers all of the exposed edges and do like wise under the bonnet. Won't fail SVA if it isn't done but it just makes it a nicer job and puts the SVA man's head in the right place.

The windscreen pillars need completely edge trimming or they will fail.

The big nuts on the wishbones and track rods need to be covered. I uses split hose fastened with tie wraps and the SVA man was happy. The other thing you need to do is cover the thread on the track rods, I used chrome effect radiator pipe covers, looks good too.

The handbrake lever might be a problem. I put a bolt through the hole where the warning lamp switch goes and fitted a separate test switch to satisfy SVA requirements. This put the lever higher in the footwell and makes it easier to reach.The other thing I did was put a 30mm spacer under the front fixing to lift the whole mechanism. I can just about operate the lever with the harness on now. No way you could without the mods and it will fail.

I had an issue with the exhaust clamp. I ended up grinding most of it off and turning it so the toolthe SVA man uses couldn't get to it.

If you need any pics give me a shout.

Rich

Everything else is the same as any other car. Cover the spar wheel, use an SVA pad for the steering wheel etc......