Steering Rack Mount

Guest mreeves

Just spent the week working on my SuperSpec, its been some time and I'm tring to get it finished as I've been working on it since Jan 05.

While I was measuring up for my remote filter pipes I noticed that the Steering Rack mounting plate which is welded to the chassis on the drivers side, when how can I put it, it isnt. The weld has cracked along the edge of the weld. and there appear to be a hair line gap. The plate can now flex at this point.

Not being a welder myself is this a simple matter of re welding it or is something else needed?

Make me wonder what else is not as it should be.

Matthew

If you have a stainless chassis you will need to weld it with stainless wire and argon gas (at least thats how i made by ss fuel tank). I think this is mainly so it doesn't rust from standard weld wire. If it is mild steel most garages should be able to sort that i would think.

If it was my car i would try and get it welded and then strap it so some other parts to increase the strength, although i don't have the same chassis so not sure how weak this point is in general.

hope that helps.