Cutting Gas Shocks

Guest Jason

Me again :D

Watching the video it says to cut the bottom from the front shocks to use them as rear spring cups....but my shocks are gas....won't they explode if I cut the bottom off?? What about drilling a little hole first to let the pressure out???

???

Am a bit worried :o

Jay

Guest chris brown
I did think about that but theres a big sticker that says do not open or pierce, was a bit worried but will give it a go

Thanks

Jay :D

Jay as Dan says the gas damper is inside the strut and needs to be removed prior to cutting the strut (large nut with damper rod coming through the middle). But my advice would be forget about messing about with Sierra springs and bits of the Mc F struts. Bite the bullet and go for coilovers from the start (Gaz or the like) as you will after a very short time of driving be looking to change them anyway as they make so much difference to the handling of the car.

Can't afford the coilovers at the moment, will maybe look at getting some later on.

Had another look and I'm 99% sure the McPherson strut is a sealed unit, theres even a big sticker on it saying" Warning : Gas : Do not attempt to open or pierce" :rolleyes:

I've changed dampers in McPherson struts before and the locking nuts on these ones look like they are pressed on.

Will try and get hold of some OE ones or something

Jay

Seriously, bin the current setup and go for coilovers. You can even get some cheap crappy zeemerides for peanuts off another member to use for the time being then buy some decent ones when you can afford it.