Super Spec Petrol Cap

Guest jwts

Hi,

I have finally got my Super Spec part built delivered. It is very part built - its had two owners since leaving the factory and in three years it has just got the panels inc scuttle, radiator, handbrake and petrol cap fitted. Unfortunately the keys to the petrol cap got lost somewhere along the way. Is there any way I can get some more keys or do I have to buy another petrol cap assembly?

If I have to buy another one where is the best place to go?

Thanks for any info,

John.

hi john

enter your location and im sure someone with the same cap will pop round.

you might be lucky and find the keys are the same.

not sure how secure the locks are with regards to the amount of different keys..

Guest allenr03

I bought a new cap from Merlin Motorsports. The position of the fuel filler cap makes it virtually impossible to fill the tank (it is very slow and you end up with more ont he floor than in the tank) so I moved it to the boot cover instead and changed the filler cap for a more suitable model. I blanked the hole in the rear panel with a piece of stainless sheet, look sok and now works perfectly.

Guest rhetorical-oracle

I modified the filler cap piece to allow better flow of fuel, and don't have any problems with filling the car up with the fuel filler supplied. I modded the bracket that comes with the car to allow the tank to vent through the filler cap rather than RS's piece of pipe exiting behind the spare wheel <_<

I cut down the vent pipe off the tank and welded the remains onto the filler bracket, then connected a the hose between the tank and the filler bracket. I also fitted a restrictor into the bracket, as it's a requirement for SVA that an unleaded car has a nozzle restrictor in the filler.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

All of which doesn't help with the lost key though - unless Richard still has his original filler?!? Sorry John.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Would an aero style filler cap from a motorbike be usable as for cars new caps for cars seem to very expensive but bike ones not so, sorry to hi jack this topic but I can,t seem to get the new topic board to work.

Robin

iam sure i remember seeing the RH filler cap in mandp.com a few years back for around £25 but i can't find it now on the website. I'll have a look in the cataloge if i can find it as they may still do them. The indicators are cheap there also. My mirrors cost £10 each and got me through SVA... just a thought. HTH

Hi,

I have finally got my Super Spec part built delivered. It is very part built - its had two owners since leaving the factory and in three years it has just got the panels inc scuttle, radiator, handbrake and petrol cap fitted. Unfortunately the keys to the petrol cap got lost somewhere along the way. Is there any way I can get some more keys or do I have to buy another petrol cap assembly?

Thanks for any info,

John.

Hi,

Thanks for any info,

John.

Hi,

In the end I took the cap assembly off and took it to a local locksmith who cut a key for it. It cost £15 which seemed OK since when I looked for similar aero style caps they cost about £60.

John.