Starter Motor Problem

Guest David corsi

Guest David corsi

Please help, after changing the oil in my exmo I could not start it, so called out RAC man he said that the starter was u/s so I took it to a man who fixes them. He changed bushes/ bearings ? I put the starter back on and it turned over once then the starter carried on turning even with the key out of the ignision??? the only way to stop it was to disconect the battery. I reconected the battery and started again, same results, I removed the starter and took it back to the guy he was not in so left it with his wife.( he seems ok) he has not got back to me yet (weekend) I feel that the starter may be live? or is the a relay u/s? I'me crap with electrics and spelling. Dave C.

There should be two connections to the starter solenoid. One fat one from battery positive and a medium one from position 3 on the ignition for activating the solenoid. Check it's wired correctly.

Pic below shows a typical pinto solenoid. The blade contact at 6 o'clock is for the ignition position 3 feed, small post at 12 o'clock is live when cranking and is usualy for coil ballast bypass. Big post at 3 o'clock for battery pos lead and main alternator lead if you wish and the big post at 9 o'clock has a braided lead into the starter itself.

The solenoid itself has a spring inside which should push the solenoid to the off position when you let go of the ignition key and it returns to position 2. The innards of the solenoid are very simple so it's easy to strip and check.

Either problem could be the cause.

Nigel

Guest Tickton Paul

Hi Dave

I had exactly the same problem when starting my pinto for the first time, it turned out to be the blade connection at 6 o'clock as mentioned by Nigel, I remade the connection and have not had any trouble since.

Hope this helps

Paul