Track Rod Ends

ibrooks

Really hoping someone can help here. I've had a track-rod end fail on the GTM but it's the inner one on the locking arm at the rear so it's not Mini. I don't know what it's from so I can't wander into the local factors and ask for one. Anyone know if there's somewhere I can get a list of TRE's by specification rather than by car model? They have a 1/2"UNF female thread to go onto the bar and the taper is bigger that a Mini TRE.

Alternatively does anyone know what they are from or where I can find out. I've asked on the GTM Owners Club forum but only had pointers so-far to a guy who sells bits for GTM's. I will contact him but I rather suspect he's not going to tell me what they are from and if I get them from him he'll be adding his cut plus postage to get it to me.

Failing that I'm going to have to drill the taper parallel and go for a rose-joint type end but I'd rather go for a replacement "standard" end than start modifying it.

Iain

Well after that singularly underwhelming lack of response ;)

I think I've found that they are from an Austin A50. But I'm not 100% certain. So..... next question for the Northwest people really. Anyone know a motor-factors that's likely to carry these. This afternoon I've tried Carlines in Blackburn and I tried Halfords (yes I know.... funnily enough computer says no but I was at Asda anyhow so I thought I'd pop in on the off-chance). Basically I want somewhere that might have them so I can go and see one and try it on the link arm before I shell out. There's an added complication in that there is one each with a left-hand thread and a right hand thread on an A50 - I need two of the ones with a left-hand thread. There are a few sets on ebay but I don't want to go for these as I'd need to buy two sets and sling (or whatever) the extra joint from each set which makes them pricey ball-joints and even pricey-er if they're wrong.

Back to the original question too. I've got a Quinton Hazell part number so does anyone know if I can get the specs of the things from that? The well known law has struck and the steering catalogue is one of the few that they don't have available for download as a .pdf.

Iain

GTM haven't made the Coupe for some years and they've recently moved (possibly changed ownership too I think) so they are a bit pressed for digging through records at the mo (might be worth a try in the next few weeks though).

Mitch - I hadn't thought of Moffats. Might give them a go during next week if I'm still struggling. I went back to try Carlines now that I've got the Quinton Hazell part number but they were shut this morning. I've left the problem with Car&Commercial who are going to give me a call on Monday when their suppliers are back around. A mate from the Mini club works for a fairly big motor factors so he's going to dig through their catalogues on Monday when he's back at work.

Iain

Guest Alan_builder
Really hoping someone can help here. I've had a track-rod end fail on the GTM but it's the inner one on the locking arm at the rear so it's not Mini. I don't know what it's from so I can't wander into the local factors and ask for one. Anyone know if there's somewhere I can get a list of TRE's by specification rather than by car model? They have a 1/2"UNF female thread to go onto the bar and the taper is bigger that a Mini TRE.

Alternatively does anyone know what they are from or where I can find out. I've asked on the GTM Owners Club forum but only had pointers so-far to a guy who sells bits for GTM's. I will contact him but I rather suspect he's not going to tell me what they are from and if I get them from him he'll be adding his cut plus postage to get it to me.

Failing that I'm going to have to drill the taper parallel and go for a rose-joint type end but I'd rather go for a replacement "standard" end than start modifying it.

Iain

Talk to Tallen Engineering.

They repair GTM's Elwe's is there now.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

Well Car&Commercial called back. £32+VAT each :o

I've bought Rose-joint style ends and washers plus rubber boots so I'll likely be making suitable brackets to convert it at the weekend. Hopefully that'll get it on the road.

And then - the well known law kicks in and I've picked up a cheap pair of A50 joints from ebay so we'll see when they arrive if they're right. At least I'll know for the future. There are others on there so I might even just fit the standard joints for the moment and change them to the spherical joints later.

Iain